Good dive shop to stay with in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done a few trips to Bali. If my focus is diving; I'd base myself in Tulamben over Amed; although there are more and better restaurants along the Amed strip. I have not stayed or dived with Liberty Divers, but have heard good things said and would probably pick them if / when I get to go back. I have dived with Tulamben Wreck Divers who were fine, but make sure you are clear on your accommodation requirements because they have two sites, one of which is apparently nice, but not very conveniently located unless you have a scooter. I also like diving Nusa Lembongan, but I am told the island is getting pretty busy nowadays.

I stayed at Benthos when I had a diving holiday in Bali. It was run by a few Europeans and the staff / crew were very friendly. I would definitely stay with them if I'm going back to Bali for dives again.

Since I went with a group of friends and the shop arranged dives for us separately, and we all had our own gears, I couldn't comment on whether it would be lots students on board or the conditions of rental gears.

I like LDR too, nice resorts, lovely swimming pools spacious and clean room, good diving operation and guide, typically 1:1 ratio - you control your diving pace,
but they increase their price though still reasonable.
On my last two trips to Tulamben, we stayed at Puri Mada. cheaper than LDR, Not in the same par of LDR but their location is the best. Literally, you can throw a stone to the liberty from your room. Very convenience for early morning and night diving.
No Nitrox but you can ask, they will get for you at extra cost.
They also have excellent guide - ask for Bagong, one of the most experience guide in Tulamben; he can easily find lady bugs for you.
Indeed they could be very crowded from 10 - 15;00. Many day tripper use puri mada as their base.

Atlantis in Sanur offer FREE NITROX and do day trips and overnighters to Tulamben, Nusa Lembongan/Penida and the Gilis/Padang Bai, Amed etc. They have their own buses and boats, and from their headquarters in Sanur the trip is 40 mins to Manta Bay in a comfortable Atlantis speedboat. I dont dive with anyone else in Bali. Lunch is included, they have a deal with Paradise Hotel in Tulamben which is 150m from the liberty wreck, and on high tide you can paddle all the way to the back stairs at Paradise in Tulamben. If you wish to shore dive then stay at Paradise as they have their own dive shop and it is SUPER cheap for a clean aircon room on the water..around $35 AUD last time I checked...Groups through Atlantis are small and they are a thriving business, so they have the luxury of making groups up of similarly experienced divers, so DM's dont dive with inexperienced students. I cant say enough good things about their operation and no Im not affiliated with Atlantis in any way other than having been a guest.

I can vouch for Alba Diving - It used to be called Villa Alba
Disclamer: I Know Alex and Jessica personally as they used to reside in Dubai before they opened their dive hotel.

Alex is a BSAC diver, as well as being well qualified in Technical and Re breathers, They are also a RAID shop

They have all the facilities, and Alex doesn't cut corners. Four of us stayed there last year and we had a good time.

I personally wouldn't return simply because I don't enjoy Tulamben diving, preferring Lembongan, Komodo and RA - but that a reflection of my choice not on the area nor Alba diving.

- Tulamben, which is mainly for macro/muck diving but also for the wreck. Best all around operator IMO Liberty dive resort (Free nitrox and private guide), Scuba Seraya is OK but expensive and a bit away, if you're looking for comfortable and qualified then Villa Markisa is even better.

Luko, are you saying that Villa Markisa is a much nicer place to stay than Liberty Dive Resort and still competent? You know how I am...we do want the better, more comfortable places to stay, YES.

- Bill

Yes, Villa Markisa is the most comfortable place around Tulamben, it's also twice more expensive than LDR.
They used to have the most "critter educated" guides and except for their house reef they dive Tulamben using a diveboat.

It is all what you wants and everyone has different expectations when they are visiting a dive shop:

Reasons for a to choose a dive shop:

1) Dive Organisation who they represent
2) Distance to the dive sites
3) How does the equipment looks like
4) How is the staff
5) Is there oxygen on the boat
6) Do they have local dive guides
7) What do you like to see

But most important dive without expectations, you will enjoy every dive. And you will never be dissapointed

I use Bali Scuba is Sanur. Based on conversation I overheard between one of the course directors and an instructor about adding some new dive sites I will be doing future training with them. They have some birthday specials going in may and offer free nitrox. I like Sanur because you still have good restruant, bars, and hotels without the same crowding of Kuta and Seminyak but good dive site are a bit away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom