Good Knife for Prying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ad says:
"The rustproof blade extends into the handle eliminating the need to disassemble the knife for maintenance."

I'd be a tad wary with a description like that, I'd want to make sure there was a full tang on the critter & the way its described here that may not be the case.

Yeha, Nalu
Last year, I had a good look at the knife in your link. In fact, I think my brother bought that one. Small point, but when I was looking at it, the pommel was Stainless Steel, not titanium like the blade and I just wanted as much rust resistance as possible. It gets rediculously hot and humid here in Japan during the summer, rust and mold are two inescapable realities. I don't know if they changed that, it was a year ago. I will have to say that the worksmanship on the blade was excellent.

JAG

Thanks! I emailed the co. to ask about the composition and length of the blade through the handle....we'll see if they reply :lilbunny:

I use my knife for digging up clams and found a titanium blade to be utterly useless. I don't care what the ads say, titanium is brittle when compared to stainless steel and it WILL chip. A thick stainless blade is the way to go if a workhorse knife is needed.

Better yet, find an old M-16 bayonnet (the one with the long thin blade). Grind down the hand guard and you will have the perfect hard-use dive knife available. It's carbon steel, so KEEP IS CLEAN AND OILED.

If you're really looking for a stout knife for prying than I'd advise you to take a look at Strider knives (www.striderknives.com). Model EB-T with 4" blade looks extremely good for that purpose. And of course a custom diving sheath is a must as the standard one is pure tactical and not suitable for diving. This knife made of 0.25" stock of S30V steel can't be broken with human muscles :eyebrow: Especially the new limited version with serrated back would make perfect heavy-duty diving knife...

S30V is a high carbon stainless steel that will easily rust when exposed to salt water. For a folder or fixed blade for land use, S30V is my favorite steel. S30V will take a good edge and hold it for a long time with little effort. I have two folding knives that use this steel, and I have been quite impressed. While S30V is is one of the best stainless steels for knives, it is not going to fare well in salt water. Strider makes a great product, but I wouldn't carry a $400.00 knife that's prone to rust on a dive.

Back
Top Bottom