Good Knife for Prying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nalu

Reaction score
Hello,
My friend's dive knife snapped and I want to get him a new one. I know he likes to use it a lot for prying scallops..any suggestions? Thanks!

I played around online and picked out a few that looked good:

Blue Reef Deluxe 5" Titanium Knife, Blunt

Blue Reef Titanium Beth Alloy Knife, Blunt

Ocean Master Titanium Knife, Blunt Tip

Underwater Kinetics Blue-Tang "Titanium" Knife, Blunt Tip

Wenoka Compact Comfort Z-Lock Knife, Blunt Tip

Any suggestions, comments? Others I should look into? Thanks!!

Scubaroo:
How about a dedicated scallop tool?

I think he likes to just have his knife double as both and he needs one now anyway so I thought I would replace it with as sturdy of a knife that I could find

A knife is the least effective, yet most expensive pry bar you will ever own.

If you want to pry, buy a small crowbar. If you want to cut, buy a knife.

I've shucked scallops before and it didn't involve a prybar. Perhaps he needs to revaluate his scallop technique.

Stanley Wonderbars come in a couple of sizes and are considerably cheaper than a knife.

If you search for titanium tools on the net, you will find companies that make small, titanium crowbars. Light as heck and Ti is more resilient than the average steel allow, much less likely to snap.

I find these when I was searching for other titanium tools. For some reason, no one has been able to produce someting like a leatherman in Ti yet. That would be a sweet dive tool. Did find titanium hammers, though.

JAG

Thanks for all of the suggestions on alternatives but again I am still looking for a knife. It's main use will not be for prying but I thought it would be nice to get one for him that he can use to occasionally pry without snapping it. He will not be using it enough for this purpose to need a crow bar although I did look up that titanium one and it was pretty cool.

Anyone out there have any knife suggestions...pleeeese!

I used an Oceanic all titanium for a summer. The knfe is a really great idea, one solid bar of titanium with two plastic (micarta?) plates rieted as handle. It was very solid,and the blunt tip version would make a mean pry tool. Simple yet secure sheath system as well.
http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/2004/p_knives_titanium.html

Downside in my opinion was the lack of craftmanship, I was a little displeasd with with edgework Seemed a bit crude and sloppy compard to ther knives, especially in that price range, like 100 bucks.

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom