GoPro as a diving camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what a Sidekick is (I use a fake GoPro) but if it's a video light then like tursiops said, you don't want to use a light and red filter together because it will come out too red. Ask me how I know :wink:

Lots of divers use GoPros and similar cameras for underwater video. I'm not photographing for National Geographic so my cheap imitation camera is OK for my home (underwater) videos. I use a medium red filter in clear water from about 25-30 feet and down to about 50-60 feet before it loses it's effect. Any shallower than 25-30 feet it looks too red.
I’m just making memories with my GoPro, nothing fancy!
Thanks for the reply!

GoPro 3 was a pretty solid camera. For the cost it did some pretty amazing things. I look at cameras two ways. First, the camera has a lot of options so you can adjust many things and come out of the water with amazing pictures to start and will nee less post production clean-up and editing. The down side is that you have many more opportunities to screw up and come out of the water with nothing. This is great if you are really interested in learning videography or photography. The second is a camera that is super easy to operate, but will require more skill the day after as you try to fix everything that was wrong with what you shot (color balance etc...). The up side is you will usually come out of the water with something, but you are destined to never be Stan Waterman (a famous underwater camera man). The first thing you need to learn with video is to hold the freakin' camera steady and to move it with slow panning movements so the viewers don't get motion sickness watching your latest adventure. The GoPro 3 is probably plenty of camera to start with and for quite awhile. When you want something snazzier, you will know it because you will have something specific you are looking for.

Remember: Better gear is never the solution to bad technique.

I don't know, I think the GoPro does pretty good on Macro, Note the pygmy seahorse is 1/3 the width of my index finger. Note the detail on the nudi. See above post too.
I actually don't understand these photos, they are much sharper at that distance than one would expect for a GoPro, given the 12-inch close-focus distance the camera is rated for. Were you using a macro lens? Are they blow-ups from much farther away? Did you have lots and lots of light so the lens is stopped down?

I’m just making memories with my GoPro, nothing fancy!
Thanks for the reply!

If you are thinking of using your Go-Pro for diving, then you need to consider what accessories you will need. Most people will want a tray or handle system. We offer a two-handed, modular tray system, as well as a single pistol grip. You can add wide angle video lights and mounting arms, if you want to really improve the color and contrast in your videos (of subjects that are within 2- 5 feet or so).

Here's a link to some of the products we offer:

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

Thanks!
Dano

Here in northern New England waters, I am basically a ham-and-egger with my GoPro 3+. I take stills/screenshots from video I shoot good enough for family and friends. And that's fine, since I'm not looking to score an NGS cover.

The Hero 3+ Black is a fine camera---I'm taking mine diving tomorrow (two H3+ blacks in a 3D housing). A tray and lights will help.

My latest video:

2D render:

3D render:

For my underwater videos I use a Gopro 4 in Protune mode without any filter. The videos require postproduction editing with the Gopro software, but the software can do a lot to adjust for color, contrast, brightness, etc. Not sure if the Gopro 3 has Protune mode, but I would suggest that you see what the software can do for a video you made without using the red filter.

For my underwater videos I use a Gopro 4 in Protune mode without any filter. The videos require postproduction editing with the Gopro software, but the software can do a lot to adjust for color, contrast, brightness, etc. Not sure if the Gopro 3 has Protune mode, but I would suggest that you see what the software can do for a video you made without using the red filter.
Wow! I’ll have to check that out, I have no idea.

The Hero 3+ Black is a fine camera---I'm taking mine diving tomorrow (two H3+ blacks in a 3D housing). A tray and lights will help.

My latest video:

2D render:

3D render:

Wow! Impressive! So there is a housing that splits the video to watch with the 3D Devices?

GoPro 3 was a pretty solid camera. For the cost it did some pretty amazing things. I look at cameras two ways. First, the camera has a lot of options so you can adjust many things and come out of the water with amazing pictures to start and will nee less post production clean-up and editing. The down side is that you have many more opportunities to screw up and come out of the water with nothing. This is great if you are really interested in learning videography or photography. The second is a camera that is super easy to operate, but will require more skill the day after as you try to fix everything that was wrong with what you shot (color balance etc...). The up side is you will usually come out of the water with something, but you are destined to never be Stan Waterman (a famous underwater camera man). The first thing you need to learn with video is to hold the freakin' camera steady and to move it with slow panning movements so the viewers don't get motion sickness watching your latest adventure. The GoPro 3 is probably plenty of camera to start with and for quite awhile. When you want something snazzier, you will know it because you will have something specific you are looking for.

Remember: Better gear is never the solution to bad technique.
Thanks for that reply, I also feel it is enough camera for me for quite some time. yes it is a poor Workman who blames his tools!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom