GoPro as a diving camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used one for a while. I had a 3+. It was simple to use, not many settings to tinker with during the dive so task load was low. I eventually put it on a tray with flex arms and 2 video lights. I also used a filter and macro lens. It worked well for what it is and let’s you focus more on your diving rather than with manual settings like on a camera rig. I have since moved to a rig but if you go to www.instagram.com/outofofficebrb you can see the photos I took. The most recent Indonesia ones are with a rig but the ones of Komodo and Australia are with the GoPro, as are the Bahamas photos.

Is GoPro any good for still photos when considering using RAW format, and how well files can be edited?

Is GoPro any good for still photos when considering using RAW format, and how well files can be edited?

I've only shot stills with a Hero 2 and there's significant shutter lag (time between pressing the button and the image capture). I have a Hero 5 now and have yet to shoot a still with it. I think of it more of a video cam due to my experience with the Hero 2.

I'm not a professional at photos or videos. I do, however, enjoy showing friends back home some of the stuff I see diving. So I take my GoPro Hero 4 Black diving with me (currently using a stick to hold it, works fine for now). I'm just starting to play with editing videos (beyond just cropping them down). Here's some of the shots from my trip last week:

It's not "great" (I'm certainly not going to have anyone offering me a job based on my video-shooting skills). I think it's great for having reminders of the dives and to show people back home some of the cooler stuff you did/saw while diving though.

You "can" go all out with a bunch of accessories or more expensive stuff, and maybe someday I will, but for now I just enjoy the diving and try to remember to point the GoPro at anything cool I see (I don't always remember as I'm busy diving and forget I'm also recording..).

Awesome videos, that’s my plan also, memories and showing friends. Thanks for posting!

I use a 5 year old hero3 set to 1080p and 24fps. This video was taken earlier this week at 50 feet in Cozumel. I used no lights but I did use a snap on go pro red filter and as you can tell the quality is better when the subject is closer. I did no post processing or editing. Be sure you are watching it in 720p which is what I loaded it to.
Love the turtles! Thanks for posting! I like what the red filter does.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom