GoPro as a diving camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Impressive! So there is a housing that splits the video to watch with the 3D Devices?

Not exactly. The 3D housing holds two GoPro Hero 3+ Blacks that are connected together via a synchronization cable. With Frame-synchronized video from both cameras, I can create a 3D video. I use Vegas for this now, but have also used GoPro Studio and Pinnacle in the past.

Here's a picture of my rig, with the 3D housing on top of the tray:

Mubin and me July 13 2016 cropped.jpg

There is a mirror based housing that can create 3D images using a single camera (half frame per eye), but it is not rated for dive depths:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vitrima-3d-gopro-camera-lens#/

Attachments

• Mubin and me July 13 2016 cropped.jpg
    Mubin and me July 13 2016 cropped.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 47
Not exactly. The 3D housing holds two GoPro Hero 3+ Blacks that are connected together via a synchronization cable. With Frame-synchronized video from both cameras, I can create a 3D video. I use Vegas for this now, but have also used GoPro Studio and Pinnacle in the past.

Here's a picture of my rig, with the 3D housing on top of the tray:

View attachment 439840

There is a mirror based housing that can create 3D images using a single camera (half frame per eye), but it is not rated for dive depths:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vitrima-3d-gopro-camera-lens#/
Wow! That is cool! I will not but another GoPro to do this though, I’ll just Subscribe to you and watch yours!

No worries...3D has a limited audience. :wink:

I am an underwater videographer. I've seen some GoPro video footage that was pretty good. Being a very compact set-up, they are much easier to travel with. However, when the hungry shark approaches, they aren't much good on defense!

I actually don't understand these photos, they are much sharper at that distance than one would expect for a GoPro, given the 12-inch close-focus distance the camera is rated for. Were you using a macro lens? Are they blow-ups from much farther away? Did you have lots and lots of light so the lens is stopped down?
My posting #13 is moot. The post #8 showing the pictures using a macro lens did indeed explain he was using a macro lens. My bad. I jumped in too quickly to respond because I was fearful the wrong impression would be given to someone thinking about buying a GoPro. The GoPro plus macro lens will certainly take decent macro photos, which @pasley has shown. I was confused because my post #4 said the GoPro is no good for macro. Post #8 disagreed with me, quoting his #7 showing good macro photos. But he was using a macro lens, as he explained in #7 but all I read was #8. To summarize: the (naked) GoPro is no good for macros. the GoPro plus a macro lens will do fine. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
I'm not a professional at photos or videos. I do, however, enjoy showing friends back home some of the stuff I see diving. So I take my GoPro Hero 4 Black diving with me (currently using a stick to hold it, works fine for now). I'm just starting to play with editing videos (beyond just cropping them down). Here's some of the shots from my trip last week:

It's not "great" (I'm certainly not going to have anyone offering me a job based on my video-shooting skills). I think it's great for having reminders of the dives and to show people back home some of the cooler stuff you did/saw while diving though.

You "can" go all out with a bunch of accessories or more expensive stuff, and maybe someday I will, but for now I just enjoy the diving and try to remember to point the GoPro at anything cool I see (I don't always remember as I'm busy diving and forget I'm also recording..).

I use a 5 year old hero3 set to 1080p and 24fps. This video was taken earlier this week at 50 feet in Cozumel. I used no lights but I did use a snap on go pro red filter and as you can tell the quality is better when the subject is closer. I did no post processing or editing. Be sure you are watching it in 720p which is what I loaded it to.

I use a 5 year old hero3 set to 1080p and 24fps. This video was taken earlier this week at 50 feet in Cozumel. I used no lights but I did use a snap on go pro red filter and as you can tell the quality is better when the subject is closer. I did no post processing or editing. Be sure you are watching it in 720p which is what I loaded it to.

In addition to being in the right places at the right time, nice video :)

Did you upload it to the museum's video contest?

Try this one that my wife took last year.
watch

Back
Top Bottom