GoPro declining usage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I am now into my second week in Coz and have been using my new Hero 6 since about Sunday. I put together a little Quik Story from the phone app as a link in my Signature below. Have to admit it has been fun to play around with, and the results blow my old Sony literally out of the water; but still looking forward to more camera-free dive days.

Red filter or shallow enough to not need one? Colors look pretty good. What's up with the shark touching?

Red filter or shallow enough to not need one? Colors look pretty good. What's up with the shark touching?

That was actually my first time using the camera underwater. The weather has been up-n-down, so lighting was inconsitent. I used the blue water dive filter, but didn't do any color corrections in post. Just kicking the tires and playing around with Qick on my phone. I plan on doing a deep-dive edit of all the footage from this trip on my computer when I get home.

As for the shark touching; the gentleman was politely told-off about that after the dive. Another guy in the group had spear'd a Lyon Fish and was feeding it to an anemone. Everyone in the group had gathered around to watch, except for myself, who was approaching to see what all the fuss was about. Out of the blue I see these two Nurse Sharks coming in at full throttle and tried to sound the alert, but it was too late and the sharks just literally ploughed straight through the group to get at the food. One of them took a run at me too and almost had to give it a swat.

Anyway, it was a memorable dive and feel fortunate that I was able to capture some decent footage, all on my very first test drive w/ the GoPro.

Last edited:
i love my new GoPro6 especially when i compare footage with my sealife microHD v.2. No comparison. i am a bit hamhanded with controls as i am technically challenged and refuse to obsess and learn more than switch on and switch off. I refuse to carry too many complicated set-ups but i understand those who enjoy the challenge of taking incredible photos and videos. As for meself these photos and videos are wonderful memories. I come back and enjoy them and it is as if for a few moments i am back under the sea... i make a clip on i movie, distribute to friends or loop it in the background and it is awesome and lasts me for a few weeks. For instance, i thought i messed up filiming shark mating but actually turns out i did. The agony at my stupidity and the exhilaration when i found it!! :) so now i have the challenge of trying to edit a 2.7k video into 1080p so i can share it with more people. ahhh the challenge and fun of it (even after the dive). Long live gopro. Long live the simple pleasures....

Now that you mention it, I have noticed there are fewer GoPro cameras compared to a few years ago. From my observation it’s not just limited to the GoPro, but cameras in general. I bought a HERO4 in 2014 with no intention of actually using it, but so my buddy @uncfnp would! When she lost interest I started fumbling around with it. On drift dives I find myself swimming around a lot and chasing things, thus defeating the purpose. The key for me going forward is to be more selective and calm down already. How many turtle videos does one really need? Unfortunately underwater video is typically only appreciated by fellow divers and even then to a point. Pretty much all of it annoys the hell out of family and friends!

Thanks for the compliment by the way!
I agree with the OP. 20 years ago we would see about 6 huge camera rigs on an LOB. This slowly petered out to 1 or 2 big still cameras and a small number of smaller compact point and shoot cameras. Then all of a sudden there were 20 GoPros. Everyone had 1 (or 2). Now we see 1 big rig a handful of compacts and a couple GoPros.

Still use mine. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but after 30+ years, I still see things I have never seen, and things that are "cooler" than the last time I saw them. Editing and cutting scenes together is a nice way to remember/reflect on a particular dive. Now that my kids are diving, it makes for good home movies, too. I may be the only one wanting to watch them, but they are better than our old Thanksgiving footage!! :p

Addendum:

My buddy has a few of the $50 convenient store "FauxPro's"....They seem to work every bit as well as my GoPro. Not sure what the differences are. Shoot in 4k. I don' think they have WiFi, though.
We continue to use ourGoPro Hero (yes, the original!). When diving, you'll need to invest in a few extras like the red filter and something to stabalize the grip. My husband made ours from metal and rigged it to get lights on. You certainly need something to stabalize the video otherwise you'll get the Blair Witch effect...not cool.

So I am now into my second week in Coz and have been using my new Hero 6 since about Sunday. I put together a little Quik Story from the phone app as a link in my Signature below. Have to admit it has been fun to play around with, and the results blow my old Sony literally out of the water; but still looking forward to more camera-free dive days.
Came out nice. I haven't really put my new hero6 to use yet other than playing in the pool. I've been frustrated at the fact that I can't use the high speed footage. The image stabilization in your video is everything i hoped it would be! It looks so good, I've got chills... okay, maybe that's taking it too far. What framerate/res are you shooting at?

Last edited:
Came out nice. I haven't really put my new hero6 to use yet other than playing in the pool. I've been frustrated at the fact that I can't use the high speed footage. The image stabilization in your video is everything i hoped it would be! It looks so good, I've got chills... okay, maybe that's taking it too far. What framerate/res are you shooting at?

Thanks!

It was shot in 1080 @ 120fps linear w/ stabilization enabled and low light set to auto. I had Quik set to save in 1080p HD and Pro Quality.

Last edited:
Killed mine years ago.. Fell out of underwater case onto ground, then someone managed to then step on it draging the lens across the concrete scratching the crap out of it.. Bought one of these cheap 1080P cameras.. Does the job.. :) Yes comes with me on every dive..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom