gopro freeze up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darkmoon3d

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone else had this problem before? Was diving White Star, OH this weekend. On first dive the camera froze up mid dive. Has happened once before years ago when I bought it (Gopro White 3). Annoying but requires reboot via removing battery which can only be done once out of water. However inconvenient this was is no concern given easy fix but next day was a bit concerning. Mid dive the camera froze up and refused to boot up again after shutting off (I often turn off to save battery if not seeing anything to record). Front LCD would be on but back screen would not (same as before). Screen then went all yellow and stayed this way for several minutes before shutting off. Was bit concerned but same solution of replacing battery fixed problem once on shore. Files seem to be viewable and no problem. Wondering if sd card is going bad or a simple firmware fix is what's required. Anyone else have simlar problem?

Are you using a generic SD Card? I've had something similar happen on an Imitation GoPro. The problem disappeared when I installed a SanDisk.

I've also read that the SD Card must be formatted for the GoPros.

Mine will do this if shooting 2.7k with my slower class 10 memory cards at 1080 no problem or on my faster $40 memory card no problem but if it is trying to write lots of data to the card and it gets bogged down then the camera freezes.

Well at least yours comes back to life, mine just bricked on me one day and never came back to life.
I've tried everything recommended on the internet to try and bring it back to life with no success whatsoever.
I ended up buying a new GoPro Hero Black and this may be my last GoPro since the new one seems to pickup background noise while using the bluetooth.

have you done all the updates? also look inside the battery compartment and if you see a metallic type label pull it out, they had an issue with it shorting out the contacts

Same issue. I have a GoPro 4 Black. Using a 32 GB Samsung Micro SD UHS-3 90 MB WRITE speed. I shoot 4k timelapses all day long. But whenever I am in the water it is getting worse and worse. two weeks I was snorkeling and one of the videos was damaged and irrepairable. I was able to find a youtube tutorial to fix it, but again THIS past weekend i was hunting for a wreck and I happened to look at the front of it (i have no view finder) and it is saying "file repairing...file repair complete" and this was an important dive in windy conditions hunting for a wreck with no marker or buoy.

Any fix to this? reinstall the firmware? I already format the sd card inside the go pro. Id hate for it to ruin some really good footage. Especially since I crashed my friggin drone in the lake this morning after putting a brand new lexar micro sd card in it...lost the drone to the lake. Tried to snorkel and find it. No luck...Wind just takes this things.

Any fix to this? reinstall the firmware? I already format the sd card inside the go pro. Id hate for it to ruin some really good footage. Especially since I crashed my friggin drone in the lake this morning after putting a brand new lexar micro sd card in it...lost the drone to the lake. Tried to snorkel and find it. No luck...Wind just takes this things.
Unfortunately I think GoPro has grown too big too fast and their customer service has gone out the window with it.
In the past if you had a (rare) problem with a GoPro they would take care of it instantly, but now their quality control is all but absent and if you have an older model the response is that you need to upgrade to a newer model. I don't think I'll be buying any more GoPro cameras and that's a shame because I've had at least 5 different models since their beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom