GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that just in Photo mode or in videos also as those screens all look like 11mp photos and these will still have some vignetting with the blurfix. Only wide photo mode and 960P video modes should vignette with SRP provided filters.

Mine still dont show anywhere near that much vignetting though, are you using the large or small black o-ring with your blurfix? The smaller o-ring is to be used for all SRP provided filters and the larger one is just for other filters that may be too deep to seal in the filter using the smaller one if the filter isnt very low profile.

Thats the sort of vignetting levels I get with a HD1 in photo mode the HD2 is much less almost nothing, both in all 16:9 video modes should not show any vignetting with an SRP filter and the small o-ring. Some other filters may have vignetting as SRP does use very low profile filters and also grind them down a little to minimize the vignetting levels.

Regarding the water refraction and the filter though, I still don't think this should have an effect as there is no water between the camera lens and the inside of the filter. The water is outside and the blurfix chamber is kept dry so water should have no magnification effect on the filter ring which only has air between it and the camera lens.

Is that just in Photo mode or in videos also as those screens all look like 11mp photos and these will still have some vignetting with the blurfix. Only wide photo mode and 960P video modes should vignette with SRP provided filters.

Mine still dont show anywhere near that much vignetting though, are you using the large or small black o-ring with your blurfix? The smaller o-ring is to be used for all SRP provided filters and the larger one is just for other filters that may be too deep to seal in the filter using the smaller one if the filter isnt very low profile.

Thats the sort of vignetting levels I get with a HD1 in photo mode the HD2 is much less almost nothing, both in all 16:9 video modes should not show any vignetting with an SRP filter and the small o-ring. Some other filters may have vignetting as SRP does use very low profile filters and also grind them down a little to minimize the vignetting levels.

Regarding the water refraction and the filter though, I still don't think this should have an effect as there is no water between the camera lens and the inside of the filter. The water is outside and the blurfix chamber is kept dry so water should have no magnification effect on the filter ring which only has air between it and the camera lens.

It will give vignetting in Photo and Video mode. You're saying it's normal for their to be vignetting in photos? That's fine. I can just remove the filter on the surface for photos.

I am using the small o-ring with provided SRP filter that was milled down to be low profile. I'm stumped, maybe i'm just unlucky? I can shoot fine in Medium FOV with no vignetting. Perhaps my filter is not milled down enough or my camera housing is just that bad.

But yes, it does definitely go away underwater. I've tested it using 3 videos now; on surface there is slight vignetting and underwater it disappears.

Based on the photos, you are pretty much pinned in and moving side to side is just going to decrease one corner while it increases another. I see two potential solutions. Try reinstalling the Blurfix adapter with the absolute minimum silicone you think you can get away with. The closer the filter is to the bubble, the better off you are. The other would be to try a slimmer profile filter. As the vignetting goes away underwater, what you are seeing is the rim outside of the glass. If you can't file off any more rim, try something with a slimmer profile like 55mm Super Slim UV Ultra-Violet filter Lens Protector for Sony 18-55m 55-200mm | eBay. (even this one will require the outer edge to be filed down, but at least you don't have the locking ring to deal with)

Nice little package :)

Just be aware with the cp its best if you have the lcd backpack so you can adjust the rotation of the lens for the desired effect. Otherwise you should test the filter and leave some permenant marks on it so you know which way to rotate it for the effect you want.

Marty,

Ok, I got everything assembled and did a test run with the polarizing filter. Put 8 marks on it around the radius, then ran a short video (inside, looking at the bright kitchen lights and panning) while rotating the filter around to the 8 different marks. I couldn't tell any difference in the video between the different settings.

Also, even with the polarizing filter fully seated, I can still spin the filter glass inside the filter frame. (ie the part that actually screws in). Are all the filters like this or just the polarizing one?

Thanks. Off to the slopes tomorrow for skiing!

Wolvan, the polarizing filter should only have the outer ring that keeps spinning the filter itself is meant to be threaded like all others so it will only screw in as far as all the other filters. The outer ring keeps spinning so you can adjust it, what brand of filter did you get?

To adjust a good way to test it is if you can test it on some reflective water on a sunny day or the blue sky which will get darker or lighter throughout the rotation.

Here is a basic test I did rotating it on a wet deck to show what it should do, indoors in artificial light you wont see much except it most likely will get a little darker or lighter. This filter should only be used on bright days if its overcast it wont do much other then reduce a little light to the camera which will slightly reduce the shutter speed like a 1 stop ND filter.

[video=youtube;Dr-xV33zNBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr-xV33zNBQ[/video]

@ Macado I will try and have a look at both my HD 2 cameras and my Blurfix kits and see if any of the combinations do cause a slight vignette in 1080P wide mode. If you could post a screen grab from your 1080P wide mode to give us a look as I think all your other pics were from wide photo modes to show how your videos are being effected. Is it worse then in that video I posted as that is the only time I've noticed the effect with my setup but I will see if I can replicate the issue.

I got the urpro filter from snake river prototype. I have the clear/UV lens with me too, have to see how the weather is tomorrow. Snowing like crazy right now. If I get a good sunny day I'll play with the polarizing filter some.

From my phone.

So that was an interesting weekend skiing with my GoPro Hero2 with the Blurfix adapter. I say alot of Gopro camera's on the mountain, but all with just stock housings (all you really need for skiing). But I got a TON of questions about the Blurfix lens, from other skiers to employee's at the 2 different ski resorts we went to. Everybody thought it was quite cool looking and asked what it did, why I had it etc.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to my home turf Wolvan. Any chance of posting some with and without video with the polarizer. I've been using this set up with my kids here in CO for some time and have always though a polarizing filter would be of benefit.

Will

I actually never used the polarizing filter. The first 2 days I had it with me, but it was over cast so I didn't use it. Then the 3rd day, I didn't bring it with me, and it was bright and sunny.

I did put together a small clip (~3 min) of some video and stills I took. Most of the stills are with my DLSR, but a few from the mountain top are with the GoPro. Its on my youtube channel (link below)

I confess that I did not read all 400 posts. I stopped at about 100. So hopefully my question has not already been asked and answered.

Q. Once you put on a flat optical glass lens to the GoPro housing, can this be used out of the water also?

Q2. If the answer to the above is 'yes', why did GoPro use a curved lens for the housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom