GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I confess that I did not read all 400 posts. I stopped at about 100. So hopefully my question has not already been asked and answered.

Q. Once you put on a flat optical glass lens to the GoPro housing, can this be used out of the water also?
Q2. If the answer to the above is 'yes', why did GoPro use a curved lens for the housing?
1. Yes, use in or out of water. Caution, in and out of water some flat lens cases show vignetting in some modes, 960p 4:3 format for instance.
2. GoPro was not (and is not) selling the camera for underwater use and their curved lens works well except underwater.

Agree on #1, at least with the Eye of Mine. As to # 2, I think the curved lens avoids vignetting in all formats, and in general sheds water better for skiing/kayaking, etc. so you don't end up with droplets marring your video.

There is likely a better and more accurate answer to #2, but that is mine!

Will

I confess that I did not read all 400 posts. I stopped at about 100. So hopefully my question has not already been asked and answered.

Q. Once you put on a flat optical glass lens to the GoPro housing, can this be used out of the water also?

Q2. If the answer to the above is 'yes', why did GoPro use a curved lens for the housing?

A: Yes you can use the housing out of the water, although the widest setting will show vignetting.

A2: The curved lense allows the very widest settings for underwater use.

The MAKO Flat lens will show no vignetting underwater in the medium width setting (1080, 127 degrees)...

We have recently released an improved polymer lens that is much more scratch resistant (similar to the hardness of glass) without the propensity to shatter like glass. The lens will work fine down to the rated depth of the housing itself (which is about 200 feet).

If you've not yet purchased a camera and housing, you may be happy to hear that we give a FREE flat lens with the purchase of the GP Camera.

MGPHL-2T.jpg
MAKO Flat GoPro Housing Lens

GoPro Dive Housing is available!

I received mine yesterday, some quick tests confirm just fine above water (hey I thought the original 'waterproof' housing would be fine UNDERwater lol), same FOV.

Here is GoPro's video: GoPro HD: Shark Riders - Introducing GoPro's New Dive Housing - YouTube

I took mine out today snorkeling at Pennekamp and still working on the video.

Edit:
Some gear pics. If you're wondering if that is a simple, flat, stick-on GoPro mount ......... you are correct.

Not one issue with it in saltwater. I did put it on the night before, so it settled overnight. The snap-on lens cover is included and I consider it a very nice touch.

p277732394-4.jpg p218314647-4.jpg p366605578-4.jpg

Last edited:
MAKO has received our first shipment of the GoPro Dive housings.

At $49.99 we think these are a great value.

The GoPro Dive Housing’s flat glass lens allows for maximum photo and video sharpness underwater in all resolutions, free of vignetting. Waterproof to 197ft / 60m, the dive housing is ideal for diving, snorkeling and any underwater filming scenario. Compatible with all HD HERO cameras, GoPro mounts and accessories.

mgpaflth_sml.jpg

GoProDive Housing

Please note that when you order a GoProcamera package you have the option of selecting a FREE 16 gig SD card or a MAKO Flat lens or a MAKO AR-15 Handle.

sdmc_sml.jpg

MGPHL-2T.jpg

mar15h_sml.jpg

With SRP BlurFix you may get a slight fuzziness vignette in the corners at 960 4:3 48fps but it is interesting that it disappears underwater at ~ 40 ft when the pressure on the housing pushes the lens or housing beyond the point of vignetting.

SRP BlurFix 960 Disappearing Vignette: From Slight to Nothing - YouTube

If you add a touch of image stabilization in the software to SRP BlurFix 960 video, the slight corner fuzziness also disappears

Pipeline Valve Box - YouTube

Note how the UPPro SRP BlurFix adapted greenwater filter brings out color in the Gulf of Mexico

This maybe unrelated to Gopro underwater focus but we're all thrilled to see Gopro finally releasing their dive housing! So we've come out with something to make it just a little better... introducing the Oculus Red Filter add on for the Gopro dive housing!

456433_332761316799944_1482413719_o.jpg

This will be out soon, I want!!!!
Backscatter_GoPro_Flip_Filter.jpg

I've taken video and of course the color really suffers but I can't get cineform edit function to work so I've been thinking of how to form some red plastic (with a torch) to shape it to snap on to the lens mount of the housing but the two options above would certainly come out better.

How optically clear are they? No sense putting a filter over the lens that would drastically reduce the incoming light.

Back
Top Bottom