GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Thorschosen - AquaPro HD 440 GoPro HERO2 package uses the SRP Camera Tray to provide a stable platform for several options. The Camera tray is available to purchase with Flex arms and saddle available around the end of next week. We'll also have a variation of the of Tray and Flex arms without light available end of next week.

I can't wait to post images of tray configurations as long as the community is okay with it. Notice how you can use the SRP Cmaera Tray as Tripod? I was floored when one of our testers took the unit and turned it on it handles and it set there with a slight degree facing up. Being able to set it in front of your subject and backing away leaving it to film should allow you to capture some great footage. Take a look.

29741330.jpg
30009788.jpg
Then Adjust the handle and increase the angle for shooting from underneath your subject providing depth to your film.
30046249.jpg
I'm very excite about this item if you can't tell. I keep finding new setups and configurations everyday. I'll post a few more images next week.

AquaProHD, I take it you will be selling just the lights/tray (I know the tray is already able to be purchased seperate) for those who already have the camera/blurfix? Not sure when I would be able to swing that past the wife, but eventually!

@ Wolvan - Yep! Just waiting for the saddles to be completed. Also need to mention that you will receive a free tripod mount with your tray so you can mount your GoPro camera.

@AquaProHd or anyone else. Is it normal to get slight vignetting in 1080P 170 mode on the surface with the BlurFix? The vignetting disappears underwater. I posted a video earlier where you can see it in the top right hand corner.

AquaProHD, did you make that setup? I don't necessarily need lights yet but I'm sure I will eventually. I'd also like to have the handles for better stability. Anyone else know of a fairly inexpensive handle setup to give better stability while swimming and filming?

There are monopod extenders that are useful & inexpensive ($30-40). I got the Big UShot on Amazon, but REI.com sells the xshot extender. You still need the GoPro tripod mount for either one. Haven't had a chance to use it underwater, but it's been useful for skiing/snowboarding so far. The extender will put your camera closer to the action, or turn it around to shoot yourself.

@AquaProHd or anyone else. Is it normal to get slight vignetting in 1080P 170 mode on the surface with the BlurFix? The vignetting disappears underwater. I posted a video earlier where you can see it in the top right hand corner.

I did notice this in one of my videos, I thought it may have been caused by a shadow coming from the very bright sun that day shadowing off the filter frame onto the glass filter. This disappeared as soon as I went into the water, its the only time I have noticed this from the many uses Ive had. This was using the swCY filter above water, looking back at it though there is a little shadowing at the bottom of the frame too so I'm not sure about that being caused by the bright sun. :idk:

You can see it at the start of this video it was all shot with the one camera and same swcy filter with no cropping done. You can see at 6 seconds there is mostly shadowing in right corners and a little on the left side. At 10 sec the left side has reduced as its not consistent I think it may be caused by sun shadowing. I have never noticed it with any other filter I use but I rarely use the URpro filters on land as you can see the skin tones make people look a little sick lol. With a clear filter or my polarizing filter Ive never come across this and I haven't even noticed it with the swCY before or since this video. If its caused by the frames shadow I think it would only appear on the coloured filters or CP as the clear filter shouldnt get a shadow on it but instead on the inside of the adapter as it will pass straight throuhg the clear lens.

I dont think water magnification would have any effect on a vignetting effect if it was caused by the filter as the air space in the Blurfix is the same on land or underwater so it will see the same amount of frame if it sees any above or below water. Looking back at the video it is all shot in basically the same direction for those above water shots. The 3rd shot shows some sun flare from above and to the right side which would explain the right side getting the most shadowing, the 3rd scene was maybe 45 minutes later so the sun may have moved but each shot is showing the pier at almost the same angle which can explain this.

This was one of the brightest days Ive ever filmed in and I thought the video would be awesome until we got down there and the vis was the worst Ive ever seen at this particular site :( Surprisingly though the HD2 in 1080P wide with the swcy filter makes it look not so bad, especially if viewed in 1080P.

[video=youtube;4sawf2_JQHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sawf2_JQHc[/video]

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can reproduce the problem in all my videos in 1080p wide mode. If remove the clear 55m filter that came with the BlurFix the problem goes away. Underwater it's not an issue nor is it in medium mode.

Do I just have a bad housing like mentioned on the BlurFix website? Is there anyway to shim the camera more to left side to make the vignetting go away? Anything I can do short of gambling and buying another housing?

Still love the lens, just wish I didnt have vignetting in 1080p wide mode on surface.

Unfortunately, I can reproduce the problem in all my videos in 1080p wide mode. If remove the clear 55m filter that came with the BlurFix the problem goes away. Underwater it's not an issue nor is it in medium mode.

Do I just have a bad housing like mentioned on the BlurFix website? Is there anyway to shim the camera more to left side to make the vignetting go away? Anything I can do short of gambling and buying another housing?

Still love the lens, just wish I didnt have vignetting in 1080p wide mode on surface.

The problem goes away underwater because the angle of refraction in water is different than in air. And the problem is not really a defect but merely the limitations of the system.

Can you post a picture of the vignetting so we can see how bad it is?

You can try and put something in beside the camera on the vignetting side and see if that helps to centralize it, I have noticed that there is quite a bit if variance between gopro housings and camera combinations and with such an extreme wide angle lens only a few mm may be the difference here.

Ive got a few housings and the location of vignetting in wide photo and 960P does vary slightly between each one but none have shown a consistant vignetting in 1080P wide using the Blurfix so you just seem a little unlucky on the housing/camera combination, I have 4 Blurfix housings and 2 HD2 and 2 HD1 cams, one housing I have which I installed my Occulus r5 lens seems the worst balanced of my bunch as this just vignettes on the left side with a housing that gets lots of vignetting in wide modes. Try and see if padding the one side helps at all as its a better option then having to buy another housing if it works.

The problem goes away underwater because the angle of refraction in water is different than in air. And the problem is not really a defect but merely the limitations of the system.

Can you post a picture of the vignetting so we can see how bad it is?

I understand why it goes away underwater but I thought that it wouldn't have any vignetting on surface. It's not a deal breaker since if I remove the 55mm lens it works but then I expose the desiccant beads to moisure.

I will post a picture to show the vignetting. It's very slight but visible in the last video I posted in this thread.

Here's an example of the vignetting in 1080p wide. Sorry didnt really have any good objects to photograph.
https://picasaweb.google.com/115878...id=KYHzscVDMJfhVFxKzHZrXw#5714405134945462466

Another example: https://picasaweb.google.com/115878...key=Gv1sRgCJvzoPjSpuisnAE#5714406834703277778

https://picasaweb.google.com/115878...key=Gv1sRgCJvzoPjSpuisnAE#5714408048490745426

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom