GoPro Hero 3 Black with a LOT of light!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is a teaser of a video I am currently editing. It is of a dive in Peacock Springs. The camera is the Hero 3 Black, and the lighting is Light & Motion SOLA 1200's along with a Light Monkey 35w HID with video reflector being held by the middle diver. The cave lit up! The full video is coming soon. I also used an Intova Sport Pro HD and a GoPro HD2 on this dive. I am going to make a picture in picture comparison of the 3 cameras as well.

Peacock Springs - Light Test - YouTube

Be sure to change it to HD.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

Thanks for the "likes" you two! I am pretty happy with the way this one turned out. It seems every video is getting better and better.

Last edited:
So I'm trying to put together my light kit for my GoPro. Based on your other post, it looks like you're using 4 lights. If you were to start with one or two, where would you start? If upgrading the Sola's to 2000's was an option, could you get by with one? Part of my love of the GoPro is how compact it is and traveling with so much lighting gear seems to counteract those gains. I know more is always better, but I'm just wondering if there's a "damn good" in there somewhere with a slightly less intensive setup.

Thanks and loving the videos.

Twin medium lights for wide field of view and no shadows better than one big bright light.

Yes Twin SOLAS > One SOLA

Great caving video! With even 3 or 4 lights as shown above, you can swing outer lighting very wide, and even have a 3rd fill in middle beam...............the rest is your video expectations and meltage pain factor of your VISA card.

So I'm trying to put together my light kit for my GoPro. Based on your other post, it looks like you're using 4 lights. If you were to start with one or two, where would you start? If upgrading the Sola's to 2000's was an option, could you get by with one? Part of my love of the GoPro is how compact it is and traveling with so much lighting gear seems to counteract those gains. I know more is always better, but I'm just wondering if there's a "damn good" in there somewhere with a slightly less intensive setup.

Thanks and loving the videos.

What kind of diving will you be doing ? Open water, cave, wreck, clear water tropical, ?

Since you are a cave diver have you considered a canister light with a wetmate connector ? This way you can use a normal narrow focus lamp when not shooting video and then switch to a video lamp when you have your GoPro. You can even switch while UW.

Most people like self contained video lamps like the Sola.

Since you are a cave diver you are probably used to diving with a canister light. Many video shooters don't like the cord, but it never bothered me. I also like to keep the weight and bulk of the battery in a canister on my waist. I use a pair of Sartek 1500's with a Y cord to connect to a single canister.

It's nice to have options.

P5070174_small.JPG
microsmall_small.jpg

Last edited:
Those DiveRite lights may be good lights but I don't think that setup does it any favours. Mounting on a Goodman handle like that you'll never get as steady footage as on a tray. The lights are too close together (touching in fact). And the camera is off to the side. It's like it was all thrown together as an afterthought.

I've got 2 little Sola's, I do like the Canister/dual light head setup though, nice bonus if the heads are interchangeable to use as a non-video light as well. HOG make something similar.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/445756-hog-morph-video-lighting-system.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom