GoPro Hero 5 & 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRN6559

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been considering purchasing a GoPro Hero 5 or 6 and a watertight case (of course) for some recreational diving. Curious how folks have found these fairly inexpensive cameras for recording dives?

Apparently the 6 specifically has some really high end video capability. Folks that shoot underwater video to advertise locally are raving about it.

Caveats:

1. You need computer power to process high quality video.
2. You need a good lighting system.
3. The thing behind the camera that presses the buttons is the most critical piece.

Apparently the 6 specifically has some really high end video capability. Folks that shoot underwater video to advertise locally are raving about it.

Caveats:

3. The thing behind the camera that presses the buttons is the most critical piece.
For someone looking for excellent video quality with some good photo quality as well, would this be a good entry-level ticket? Fortunately, I do have some high-end computing power. Is there a video editing software or editor recommended by divers? By lighting, would you be referring to some strobes that could attach to a housing, or how does that work with the small scale of the Gopro in relation to full-sized cameras?

I don't think gopros have a way to trigger a strobe, so it's video lighting you're after. If your primary goal is video but want the ability to shoot stills, a GoPro is a great option. If your main goal is still but you all want video, I'd look for something that can trigger a strobe.

There are a variety of editing packages around but others are far more qualified to comment on them than I am.

On lighting, you can go cheap and get units that screw on to the camera or higher end and get a tray, arms, and a couple of lights.

To start, assuming you are prioritizing video over stills, the GoPro and a cheap light is great. Maybe add a filter set to red shift in shallow water. If you get a 6, you can always upgrade the lighting later and have a great setup for video.

I have the 5 and it is awesome. The video quality can be quite good. You'll need a decent video light or two to really make it shine. As with any kind of photography, you'll need to spend some time developing some skills to get the most out of it. But the package is super small and if you put it on one of the ExRDS hand mounts, the ergonomics are as good as it gets.

Dive swag & Accessories

Caveats:

The 6 is very good in my opinion - much improved over previous versions (I have a 3+ as well), You only need a high end computer if you shoot in 4K as it uses HEVC codec. I currently use 2.7 K (60 fps) as it uses mp4 and is easy to manage. External Lightnng is only really needed if you are going deep - red filter works quite well if you are 40-50 feet or shallower, especially if it is sunny ans you have good visibility.

Here are some with the 6:

No lights:

With Lights:

Arashi Turtle with JADS Aruba

I appreciate all of the feedback on this. I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the 6 for video purposes. Can anyone recommend a good stills camera to go on a tray with the Gopro? Would be very interested to be able to snag amazing stills as well at a decent price.

I appreciate all of the feedback on this. I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the 6 for video purposes. Can anyone recommend a good stills camera to go on a tray with the Gopro? Would be very interested to be able to snag amazing stills as well at a decent price.
I'd suggest fooling around with the 6 for stills. You might find it meets your needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom