GoPro Hero 6 scuba videos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmrangel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all
Looking to see if the GoPro hero 6 is worth the upgrade. Anyone have any diving videos from it ? Links or posts would be great!

Thanks!

Just picked up a 6 last weekend and hoping to dive with it this weekend. Well that is if this new tropical depression in the gulf plays nice. If i get a chance to go ill post the video from it.

It's got some really good reviews
Video comparison: GoPro Hero6 'is what the Hero5 should have been'

It's no Hasselblad H6D-100c but it looks good to me. 60fps 4k video. I'd love to see it get a bump to to 120 in the Hero7 or something but still it's really good for only $500

You still need a dive housing.

Given th e kind of non-support GoPro gave for its defective Hero 3's. I wouldn't buy one on a bet!

Thanks for the replies. I really want to see the differences underwater. GoPro seems to claim better underwater color balance. This along with other things like improved low light performance, dynamic range, and stability have me interested.

Below is a quote about improved white balance
"With improvements and control over AWB, we can do automatic scene detection for much more accurate colors across the broad range of environments and lighting conditions our customers will take their GoPro. A new capability this enables is the automatic detection of underwater scenes. The AWB adjusts dynamically to capture beautiful natural colors of the underwater shot, where a red or magenta filter would have previously been required to do so."

Full article can be found at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hero6-black-and-hero5-black-differences

I'm very interested in the same as you, and got my hopes up on those claims. On the other hand, if you look at the GoPro forums there are lots of complaints about video quality in low light conditions (and GoPro promising an update in November to fix). Would love to hear from the first people that actually takes the camera diving.

I'm very interested in this as I am definitely upgrading my Hero4 before my Philippines trip next March. Based on side by side comparisons, I had already decided to get the Sony FDR-X3000 over the Hero5. I have been waiting to see if Hero6 changes the game.

The Sony is cheaper, $368 on Amazon and includes the housing rated for 100m.

The Sony has optical image stabilization which seems to work very well in videos I've seen.

The Sony has better color than the Hero5 but we'll see how the Hero6 does.

The Sony does not have a back lcd screen, a definitive drawback. On the other hand, I've struggled to see well in the Hero4 lcd. I can sometimes tell if the lighting is off or if the subject is centered though so it's still useful. But I could always mount the Sony and my old Hero4 on the tray and use the Hero4 lcd for that.

Then again, who knows what new model may come out in a few months?

I'm very interested in this as I am definitely upgrading my Hero4 before my Philippines trip next March. Based on side by side comparisons, I had already decided to get the Sony FDR-X3000 over the Hero5. I have been waiting to see if Hero6 changes the game.

The Sony is cheaper, $368 on Amazon and includes the housing rated for 100m.

The Sony has optical image stabilization which seems to work very well in videos I've seen.

The Sony has better color than the Hero5 but we'll see how the Hero6 does.

The Sony does not have a back lcd screen, a definitive drawback. On the other hand, I've struggled to see well in the Hero4 lcd. I can sometimes tell if the lighting is off or if the subject is centered though so it's still useful. But I could always mount the Sony and my old Hero4 on the tray and use the Hero4 lcd for that.

Then again, who knows what new model may come out in a few months?

Totally agree. I have a trip to Coz scheduled starting next week .. Would love to upgrade, if I am going to, before I go but some of the reports have me worried and not yet convinced the improvements are worth it. The videos I have seen show the stabilization seems to be amazing, even better than the OIS on the Sony in some situations. The big swinger for me will be the quality of the video underwater, both color balance and noise.

Where are you seeing stabilization comparisons between the Sony and the Hero6? The side by side comparisons with the Hero5 are worlds better for the Sony. The Gopro uses electronic stabilization which is essentially software correction and theoretically could be applied the the optically stabilized video from the Sony.

Where are you seeing stabilization comparisons between the Sony and the Hero6? The side by side comparisons with the Hero5 are worlds better for the Sony. The Gopro uses electronic stabilization which is essentially software correction and theoretically could be applied the the optically stabilized video from the Sony.

Mostly from the below links. While not scientific, I see some areas I think the Hero 6 is better. I have seen other videos taken in the dark and low light (when using slower shutter speeds) where the Sony OIS is better. This is because the EIS can correct the position of the pixels but cannot fix the motion "blur" caused by rapid movement with low shutter speed.

And here is one showing what I mean about stabilization during low light

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom