Gopro playback freezing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab4life

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, when I plug my Gopro into my computer and play it on the Gopro Studio it gets very choppy on the playback. Does anybody else have this problem. What setting do you guys use for diving?

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 05:05 PM ----------

Brand new hero 3

Hi all, when I plug my Gopro into my computer and play it on the Gopro Studio it gets very choppy on the playback. Does anybody else have this problem. What setting do you guys use for diving?

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 05:05 PM ----------

Brand new hero 3

The 'choppiness' of my video in GoPro Studio (and Premier Pro for that matter) seems to be related to how much other work my computer is doing at the time, how long the video is and how much work the software is doing at the time. There is also a setting (I think in both programs) that allows you to change the playback quality depending on your computer's video capabilities. I'm running a Macbook Air with 4GB of RAM so it's not a super high end workstation. Having said that... editing on the Flash vs. hard drive helps a lot. I am currently experimenting with backing up my files to a redundant thunderbolt drive and then editing the files right on a 64GB SD card. So far it works well.

Question - are you viewing the video via USB while it's on the camera or transferring it to a local drive first? USB 3 might be fast enough to get good video and Thunderbolt works but earlier versions of USB might be a problem.

As a rule I try to edit video with nothing else running which helps. I also reduce the playback quality if I'm rough cutting then bump it up for review before a final render (or not... sometimes it's faster to just render the file and see how it looks - rerendering if needed). Until I can afford a new Mac Pro with a a few TB of RAM and 16 cores I just sort of deal with it. As long as the final render works in my movie player, YouTube etc. it's just annoying but not a showstopper.

Best,
Steve

Scubasteve + 1 with regards to other files and folders open whilst trying to play and edit. I've found exactly the same thing, but the end product usually comes out fine - even though the road to get there is a bit more frustrating. The computer you use has a lot to do with it too. I've got a fairly basic netbook, which doesn't seem to cope with playback too well. Ho hum, time for a more expensive laptop me thinks....

It jams when I playback in studio, whether I download it or run it off USB cord, but the end product turns out fine, but is a pain to put together videos

Yeah that's exactly the same problem I have. Agreed its very frustrating. The only real solution is a better grade of laptop, but that's way down on my list of priority purchases.....

While an upgrade is not an option, try shooting on lower resolutions and/or fps.. I struggled with an older computer and could barely play 1080p@30fps without risking having a heart attack.

This is happening to me. Plays fine when I connect my iPad to the camera via wifi, but when I upload to GoPro Studio, chops every few seconds. I also am not getting sound....anyone experiencing that? Is it related? My PC has sound options on, the sound comes thru on my iPad.

Playback via WiFi to your iPad requires much less processing power than capture/editing on your computer.

Check to see that you meet - and probably should exceed - these minimum system requirements:
GoPro Studio Edit Software

Some of this might apply also: How to Resolve GoPro Studio 2.0 Crashing Issues

Otherwise try some of what scubasteve posted above. If you preload a lot of software/utilities/virus scanners etc. they can slow things down - so turn off any non-essentials while editing. What do you do while files are being transferred? Watch the process or go check Facebook while you're waiting? If your system is on the low end of the mimimum requirements, even that could be a factor.

What other USB devices are you running? Every time a USB device is activated (moving your USB cordless mouse for example) it polls the USB channel and can interrupt momentarily file transfers - especially if it's USB 2.0 and you're near the mimimum in any of the system requirements except maybe video performance as that's not really a factor during transfers.

If you're editing files stored on the GoPro move them to the fastest drive on your computer first. That's probably going to be a Flash Drive or an SSD device if you have one. It's even faster to remove the card from the GoPro (can you do that? I don't own one) and put it into an internal or external card reader on the computer first.

Thanks for the advice, Ill give them a try with my next video. I have a flash drive, didn't think to transfer to that instead of the PC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom