Got a dumb question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen a lot of younger divers use it on their primary, I'm old school, why in the world would they do that?

Lake Mead Tony:
I have seen a lot of younger divers use it on their primary, I'm old school, why in the world would they do that?

Probably "saw it on the internet".

ScubaCatgirl:
I don't like the idea of wrapping around the neck either. I'd much rather have extra octo holders around.

Putting the backup around the neck is a well established practice with a LOT of advantages. Perhaps you'll feel differntly when you watch the octo holder rip a mouthpiece off in an emergency OOA scenario. It's pretty sobering.

ScubaCatgirl:
Ya got me. I don't understand it either. Seems like a dangerous situation to me.

I think you are confused. Using a bungeed backup (bungee cord hold the secondary reg around the neck) is very safe and use by many of us who have long hose configurations.

The "dangerous" part that is being discussed is the use of surgical tubing instead of the cord which would actually break off if anyone pulled on it hard enough. Surgical tubing wouldn't break off.

scubamickey:
The "dangerous" part that is being discussed is the use of surgical tubing instead of the cord which would actually break off if anyone pulled on it hard enough. Surgical tubing wouldn't break off.

Sure it would. Breaks like a rubber band. I've done it.

PerroneFord:

Does it take more force than a bungee cord? I think I'm imagining a thicker tubing.
What would be the disadvantage of using surgical tubing then? I had thought it was because of the breaking off. Now I don't know.

There's no disadvantage. The Great Debate is on whether one should breathe from the long hose that has a loop around one's neck. Or whether one's long hose should be stowed around the neck and stuffed along the side of one's tank. Long hose breathers point out that you can't stuff your own long hose, while long hose stuffers think that the extra time taken to unwrap the long hose and switch regs is too much during an OOA emergency.

Surgical tubing can also double for other things too....which makes it good for a Save-A-Dive kit for tech or cave divers.

scubamickey:
Does it take more force than a bungee cord? I think I'm imagining a thicker tubing.
What would be the disadvantage of using surgical tubing then? I had thought it was because of the breaking off. Now I don't know.

This is thin wall tubing. Takes less force than the bungie depending upon how the bungie is attached. Disadvantage is that the tubing breaks down over time and needs to be replaced at intervals. I think either works just fine. I actually prefer the tubing because with the backup in the mouth, the tubing hurts the corners of my mouth less. Of course, right now I have the bungee in... :)

I'd be amazed if anybody could break new, non-degraded surgical tubing.

The last roll I bought was rated for a minimum 750% stretch before breaking, which would mean that a 1 ft piece of tubing would go to at least 7 1/2 feet, which is generally longer than most people's reach.

Terry
Originally Posted by PerroneFord

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom