Got certified.Some SMALL questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-How do I calculate my decompression zones and times? Not to sure on it. I just did a 75 ft dive for 30 minutes and took a 3 minute 15 ft Decomp stop.

Later on you said you did learn how to do this (see #5), since you are in no decompression limits for this dive. In your class, you should have been shown how to calculate all of this, and you said that you did.

Good **** guys..I guess I did get somewhat screwed in my OW course. .
How were you "screwed"? In post #5 you said you learned how to do it.

I would LOVE to go night diving and see wrecks,caves and go deep. From the looks of it,thats another 1k in training. This is what Im not liking about diving =-(

Ah, I see. It is not that your instructor did not teach you NDL diving. He "screwed" you by not teaching you how to do decompression dives, which is not part of the course. You wish he had added $1,000 worth of training to the course for free.

As far as learning how to decomp and such,Ill ask my instructor again.
And he can repeat what you learned about no decompression diving. He is certainly not going to teach you decompression diving, which is a much bigger topic than you seem to think.

I learn how to use the diving table,the one that you can use to figure out multiple dives and how long you can stay in the water and such..As far as decomp,I dont think we even covered it to well if we did...Wow,shows how much some instructors care.
He taught you no decompression diving, which is part of the course. Emergency decompression procedures were covered in Knowledge Review #5 in the course. You had to sign that at the bottom to indicate that you understood everything on it and that the instructor went over it. There was also a question on emergency decompression procedures on your final exam. You had to sign that to indicate that the instructor had gone over anything you did not get right on the exam. Finally, emergency decompression procedures are on the RDP or the eRDPml for you to refer to in case you forget.

Did the instructor refuse to explain these parts of the course to you, and, if so, why did you sign two documents saying that he did teach them to you?

If it makes you feel better, continue to rip on your instructor. I'm sure it will make you feel better.

I just REALLY wanna learn how to figure out if I will need a decomp dive..EVEN if Im a beginner .I feel that this is a skill to have no matter what. Understanding the dangers of my dive and how to prepare for them is important to me even if this is considered "advance".
If that is all you want, to deal with emergencies, then either go back and read what is in your course book, or read the fine print on your RDP or eRDPml.

BJ, I agree with your parsing of his posts, and it is just another reason to buy a good computer:wink:

Are you sure you're not confusing decompression obligation with a safety stop? In recreational diving, a safety stop is drilled into you but if you stay within the limits of your training you will be fine.

Deco obligations are an invisible overhead that you aren't trained for, but that you shouldn't need to worry about if you're diving conservatively within your training and within the boundaries of your RDP. No amount of internet diving will qualify you for deco obligations.

oh and FOR THE RECORD,the table that I learn to use is not the table that shows you decomp.Its the table that calculates how long you can stay for your 2nd dive if you choose to do one. Adn to add to it,I said I did not get or learn how to set up a decomp if a decomp is NEEDED..NOT THAT I WANTED TO LEARN ALL THOSE DIVES FOR FREE.

I think you should read better before getting trigger happy with that multi-quote,hun.

=-)

AVOID WATER!

It will be bad for everyone elses health.

I base my theories on imbeciles and diving.

Very good.

ADDITION TO THE ABOVE FOUR LINES BEFORE VILIFICATION. Again.

An entire post, two before this one by the original poster, has been deleted.

My post is soft as is #40 from Boulderjohn, considering misinterpreted assumptions from op, and a highly offensive beration of Boulderjohn.

Aside from this, the original poster appears acutely naive and aggressive, to plan a future in diving and to dive it, certainly with others of similar certification unsupervised.

I base my theories on what posters say and how they say it.

Very good.

Last edited:
I think you meant to type:
"I made a mistake in slagging off my instructor on a public forum when it is I who was confused"

A few typos seem to have crept into that.

V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks,
The bloke just got certified - cut him slack please !

To the OP,

It's important for you to realise that the terminology you learned on your OW course is the basis for communication and it is important that you use the right terminology in order to avoid confusing other people.

The question you are asking (from your first post) goes beyond what is taught in a typical PADI OW course. You were taught basic dive planning and you should assume that what you learned is just a starting point to prevent you from going too deep too quickly.

BTW in your position I would spend time in shallow water, getting used to equipment and executing dive plans before venturing to the point where the surface is no longer an option ie 35 minutes at 75 feet for example gives you a mandatory emergency stop of 8 mins. When a new diver starts out their gas consumption is usuallly high and many have difficulty in maintaining a stop at 15feet. Do not put yourself in a position where you might be low on air and have to do decompression stops beyond what you were trained to do.

I'm in a hurry so forgive the terse nature of this post.

The next course I took after open water was the peak performance buoyancy course and that was tremendously helpful in working on my buoyancy skills (and giving me some supervised diving time to work on skills). I took AOW about a year after OW with maybe 10-15 dives past my OW course. I think the OW course is just a beginning and the two additional courses helped me quite a bit to work on my skills and confidence (which remains a continuing endeavor).

Help us out here. What table did you learn on? PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc.

Well, perhaps I did come on a little harshly, and for that I apologize, but let's see if we can come to an understanding about your question, which seems to have a lot of people confused.

It appears as if you had a normal OW class and were taught the normal procedures for planning a no decompression dive. You have not said what agency it was, and some of us are assuming it was PADI. You said your instructor screwed you and did not care because he did not teach you something, but it is not clear what he did not teach you.You said you do know how to use the tables that allow you to plan multiple dives, and I think most of us assume you are talking about the PADI RDP or the equivalent. If you know that, then your instructor did teach you that, which is a normal part of an OW course.

You said you want to know about decompression procedures, both for safety (in case of an actual violation of the limits) and so you can do deeper, longer dives than the tables permit.

As far as safety is concerned, it was pointed out that, if it was a PADI course at least, you should have been taught emergency decompression procedures, for they are in both the knowledge reviews and on the final exam. I don't know about other courses.

If it is for deeper, longer diving, you said that the problem with learning these things through a course is that those courses cost about $1,000. The implication is that you want someone on this thread to give you the information so that you don't have to spend the money.

There is a reason that this advanced training is expensive. It requires a lot more than just knowing an ascent profile. One of the most important things is that a diver who is doing this kind of diving intentionally should have a much greater level of skill than is typically found in a beginning diver, and the courses typically require a lot of such training in addition to the procedures.

You said you do not know a lot of the terminology. Let me help you out with some things that will be helpful to you in the future.
  • Most of terms you are unfamiliar with are taught in an OW class. That is why some people are suggesting you go back and review your course materials.
  • The short, slang abbreviation for decompression used in diving is deco. Decomp is a short, slang abbreviation used in forensics for decomposition, the odor of rotting flesh.
  • Your post, quoted above, is a violation of the ScubaBoard Terms of Service. If it were to be reported (and I won't report it), it would be pulled and you would be given a warning. Further such posts could get you suspended or banned.
Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom