Got my card.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dbmata

Registered
Reaction score
Over the weekend I got my SSI Open Water dives completed and took home a shiny new card. I was pretty amazed at how easy it was, I think the hardest part of the process was finding the time to read through the book a few times, and keep boyle's law straight.

Total of 80 minutes down between the two dives on the first day, and another 80 minutes down between the two dives on the second day. Gas usage improvement was amazing to see! The second dive of the first day was a 45 minute dive. I hit 500 psi, and had separated a little too much from the group because of bunk visibility, so I just came in. I started that dive with 3200psi in a steel 80. The next day, I used a total of 3200psi for both dives. Huge difference. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to maintain horizontal trim while waiting for everyone to do their skill checkouts.

More importantly though, saw crabs and snails for days! Was amazing, and now that I found a recipe for moon snails, I think I need to go back to where we dove. The only issue was visibility. The moment anyone kicked it got so murky that at one point I actually tapped my compass against my mask because I couldn't see it well enough to read it from all the sediment.

So there it is, was so relaxing and fun. I can't wait to go again. Sadly, there's a lot of lightning out right now, otherwise I'd go tomorrow.

Welcome to the world of diving! Keep up the diving and training.

Thanks. I want to get a few dives under my belt, and then look into something supremely useful like navigation or search and recovery.

Good job! You cannot go wrong with taking a navigation course, especially for the conditions you mentioned.

For sure. I hunt, so I'm already handy with a compass, and in almost zero vis I got my little group back to shore on compass only with us coming out about 10' from where we entered. I can do better though.

Between all the edible animals, and the feeling of being under water, I really wish I did this a decade ago.

Congratulations, be active, and learn on every dive!

Good job. On the book topic -- I remember I asked the instructor why the books are "dumbed down" I didn't consider they were written for 10 year olds with 0 knowledge of physics :) The fact that you dove in an area where sediment was an issue is actually good. My OW was done in a clear 50 ft visibility water, so I didn't get to experience what "bad finning" actually leads to until I got into cold water with my drysuit on :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom