Got some cash burning a hole in my pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol:

Hey guys, need some help on how to spend some extra cash I have come across. Im stuck between taking the Nitrox course or buying a Computer. My biggest problem with taking the course is its 190.00 bucks which I think is crazy for re learning to use tables and some math problems. And my biggest problem with buying a comp is i have hundreds of dives without one, why by one now? I know I eventually should have both so which would yall do first? Thanks Panga Man

I'm thinking a GED maybe?

A smart LDS will do the nitrox class for a lot less. They know in the long run they can make more selling expensive nitrox files. The problem is finding the smart LDS, many are not business savvy.

I would do a modest computer given the 2 options. It is a one time cost other than an occasional battery. If you pay top dollar for nitrox, you still have to pay extra for the gas and over the long run that can be a good amount. My minor nitrox habit cost me a couple of hundred per year and I live in the desert, yours could be a lot more.

A smart LDS is also probably trying to get the nitrox fills cheap enough to compare with air so more divers will do it. I only pay a couple bucks more a tank. I've heard the suggestion of making air more expensive than EAN to encourage divers to use it.

You shouldn't have to pay anything for the tables if they don't come with the ~$20 book. If they say you do, google image ssi tables and I believe theres a full page pic you can print out.

I agree the $190 is steep. If you plan to do a lot of charter diving then doing the nitrox course first may be best. That way you can do nitrox if everyone else is and you don't have to leave the party early.

I'd buy the computer, with the computer tracking your depth and bottom time more precisly you will probably get more time in the water or shorter surface intervals unless you are actually diving square profiles.

The only reason my dive buddy and I certified on nitrox recently was trying get an edge lobster diving. It did reduce fatigue and my buddy's leg cramps stopped. With the price and avaliability of nitrox where I live , I just do it on lobster dives.

Wow the leg cramps thing is very interesting to me. 2 years ago I became extremely dehydrated while teaching a basic firefighting course and got such severe leg cramps it caused crush syndrome to my muscles. It also put me in the hospital for a week. Since then if I don't take motrin and down some pedeolite before I dive I cramp up. I wonder if using a higher precentage of o2 will help me out with this also.

I would imagine the only reason for feeling less fatigued on Nitrox would be if you followed the same air plan your used to but dive Nitrox instead. If you stay down longer with Nitrox you'll end up having to offgas as much N2 as you would have with a shorter air dive. Throw in a deep stop with Nitrox and you'll be keeping the small bubbles to a minimum and feel alot better on the drive home after the dive.

get the cert man. here is why:
youll get some extra knowledge and skills, even if your already a great diver every experience is a notch in yer belt. Afterwards you can save up for a computer, using the tables is great, keeps your mind working and keeps you sharp. Its great to know the skills and mixes but having the credential in your profile is not only a plus its a rquirement to get the mix anyway. I wouldnt look at it as an expense, id look at it as building up your skills and confidence levels. Computers are great, but they are always changing and getting better and cheaper. The best order of aquirement here in your case seems to be the skills,knowledge and the c-card. Its just cool to always be gaining extra knowledge and skills. Oh and a note before i get flamed on this... the skills im referring to are not just the nitrox youll be getting certified on, you will inadvertantly pick up other skills while doing it, it may be someone else in the class you see do something way wrong or very well, and makes you go hey, thats totally cool, or totally bad. knowledge is power my friend. Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom