Great White off Central Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was that a GW? The tail didn't look like a GW tail too me. Tiger shark maybe? Big one.

scary

Was that a GW? The tail didn't look like a GW tail too me. Tiger shark maybe? Big one.

looked like one to me...head, tail, marking and body lines.

Very much a White, even by the tail.

300px-Shark_Tail_shapes.svg.png

Very much a White, even by the tail.

300px-Shark_Tail_shapes.svg.png

Lok again. The bottom and top of the GW tail fin is ALMOST the same size. Closer to being the same size than other sharks. The tail on the shark in the vid has a noticably shorter bottom section. Just doesn't look like a GW's tail to me.

Lok again. The bottom and top of the GW tail fin is ALMOST the same size. Closer to being the same size than other sharks. The tail on the shark in the vid has a noticably shorter bottom section. Just doesn't look like a GW's tail to me.

Look at the top as well. When you go and ID an animal you look at all the characteristics, not just one piece. Also, if you look at Tiger's, their nose is a lot more angular while a GW is rounded.

Look at the top as well. When you go and ID an animal you look at all the characteristics, not just one piece. Also, if you look at Tiger's, their nose is a lot more angular while a GW is rounded.

I don't claim any expertise here, so I don’t claim to be right just doubtful. The almost symmetrical tail fin of a GW is unique to the GW. So when I see a tail fin that deviates from that unique feature I question the ID as a GW. Also the shark is not visible for very long which makes IDing every feature difficult. A 11'- 12' GW is on the verge of becoming a marine mammal eater, curious what its doing in FL.

Great White Shark

Distinguishing Characteristics
• Serrated triangular teeth
• Lobes of caudal fin of about equal size • Caudal keel
• Black spot may be present at axil of pectoral fin
• Lunate tail

The white shark is a robust, torpedo-shaped shark. The upper and lower lobes of the caudal fin are about even in size, and its serrated triangular teeth are virtually symmetrical. Despite its name the white shark is only white on its underside; the top of the shark is grey to black or blue.

That is a GW. Not a tiger.

Looks like a GW to me too. Definitely not a tiger, nose is nowhere near blunt enough. Tail fin also looks pretty symmetrical. Not an expert opinion but this looks to me clearly a GW. It's definitely not a Tiger...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom