Great White off Central Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a GW to me too. Definitely not a tiger, nose is nowhere near blunt enough. Tail fin also looks pretty symmetrical. Not an expert opinion but this looks to me clearly a GW. It's definitely not a Tiger...

I'm no expert either. Do you really see the lower part of that tail as being close to the same length as the upper section? I just had my eye exam and got my new glasses, to me the lower section looks noticably shorter than the top. Maybe the doctor screwed me.

I just threw the tiger out as a question not an ID. I guess it all depends what angle the nose is seen at, sometimes the moon looks like it has points. I don't claim to know either way, just to me the tail is a question. The rest of the shark does look like a GW but so does a big Mako, they are related. The Mako shares a similar tail as the GW as does the tuna. GW are everywhere so it is a possible. Also they play rough this one may have had a tail trimming by a bigger one at sometime?

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/ecology/id-lamniformes .htm

I'm not saying anyone is wrong and neither is AfterDark, but you can't ID it 100% as a White Shark.
1) The fin doesn't look really like a White (it's not symmetrical) and neither does it look really like a tiger (the upper part is not as long as on some other tiger sharks)
2) The coloring is similar
3) The nose is seen briefly and on the side, if it's squared or pointed we can't know, because if you look at the tiger shard from the side it looks pointed.

I'm not saying it's either, I'm saying: STOP SAYING IT'S A GW without EXPERTISE. They look so similar it can be either or it can be another Shark we don't even know.
Some shark expert come and save us.

PS.
What about the BULL SHARK http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/gallery/descript/bullshark/bullsharkphoto.jpg
It has asymmetrical fin, a tab on top like on the vi, and it's grey/white, and a pointy nose.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong and neither is AfterDark, but you can't ID it 100% as a White Shark.
1) The fin doesn't look really like a White (it's not symmetrical) and neither does it look really like a tiger (the upper part is not as long as on some other tiger sharks)
2) The coloring is similar
3) The nose is seen briefly and on the side, if it's squared or pointed we can't know, because if you look at the tiger shard from the side it looks pointed.

I'm not saying it's either, I'm saying: STOP SAYING IT'S A GW without EXPERTISE. They look so similar it can be either or it can be another Shark we don't even know.
Some shark expert come and save us.

PS.
What about the BULL SHARK http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/gallery/descript/bullshark/bullsharkphoto.jpg
It has asymmetrical fin, a tab on top like on the vi, and it's grey/white, and a pointy nose.

HA Ha Ha..... a bullshark?? Seriously do you people have any clue at all?

There are many recorded incidents of GWS from around the state of Florida. I myself saw very large one in the Gulf of Mexico. They are also sighted and caught hook and line on occasion in Florida.

so after two shots and hits, with nothing on the stringer was he planning on loading with the second or third band to actually get the fish or was he just down there shooting them for fun?

His first two shots were bad ones, he wasn't "down there shooting for fun". If you knew what you were watching, you would understand that a single band is all that is necessary.

The guy is actually a commercial fisherman. Spearfishing solo, at that depth (almost assuredly on air) is harder than it might appear, so we can forgive a few bad shots (or misfires).

Think how much more exciting the video would have been if he was dealing with a large bloody fish when that shark came in on him?

As much as it pains me to have to say it, DD is correct in this thread. Great Whites have always been through our area, just not in big numbers, and not usually where people are diving.
There used to be a shark fishery managed out of Fort Pierce or Stuart.....it allowed 100,000 sharks per year, till it was closed around the 70's.... Each year about 1% of the sharks caught were Great White Sharks.
Also, Craig Suavely shot video of a GW on the Hole in the wall back around 1993...you could see the big ledge as Craig swam along at about 125 feet down, plenty of AJ's and grouper....then in the 90 foot vis, you see this big shark coming in the distance....Then, as it get closer and coloration become distinct ( and clearly Craig realizes the ID of what he is filming), the video perspective begins to change...rather than head on, the camera begins to be higher than the shark, then quite a bit higher, and then as the shark swims under him, the zooming out feature is considerably utilized :) Of course, when he realized what the shark was, he decided the best vantage point for filming would be from the boat :)

I have seen one mako off of one of the 270 foot deep hopper barges off of singer island...this was during deco for my group, when i was doing safety diver duty. The mako is not particularly comfortable to interact with either ( not nearly as friendly and sociable as our local bullsharks :) ....the boat came by when the Mako began posturing around me, and gave me my double barrel Ultimate gun. Virtually as soon as I had it, the Mako appeared to know the game was different, and no longer had any interest in posturing or circling around--it just left......It would have been my job to deal with the Mako, with 5 divers at the 40 foot stop , and no way for them to be at the surface sooner than 40 minutes later.

Oh yeah, the point..... I think most fish that have been shot at, know what a speargun is. I think some shark species are considerably smarter than others, and the way they deal with speargun toting divers could be a fascinating research project for someone.
Some, like our local bullshark population, out where the cobia are shot in their midst, appear to be seeing humans and rivals, as opposed to a passing form of marine life they dont have reason to pay attention to......Now, suddenly, as rivals, they do....

It could be that the GWS, the Mako and the tiger sharks are smarter than the bullsharks, and better able to make distinctions about the best course of action to follow when seeing a speargun toting diver.
We know GW's are very careful to ambush their prey, and avoid any chance of injury--this is a higher form of intelligence than we would assign to the bulls I think.
We know that some tiger sharks have very distinct personalities, such as the 16 foot tiger shark known as "Emma" that has become friends with Jimmy Abernethy--the shark swims with him like they are best friends---it is in his new movie.. See http://www.thisisyourocean.com/thefilm.html

The form of human interaction that occurs is likely to have an effect on the sharks, and different speices will have potentially very different processing abilities and social interests, and other verying degrees of territorial agression which can be triggered by certain forms of human interaction.

Everyone should see the Abernethy film.. it is not like anything else I have ever seen, and this Emma shark is a game changer..

Last edited:
Seraph-Let's whittle this down. It is an obvious lamnid, which rules out bull or tiger sharks (both are Carcharhinids). Extant lamnids include mako, porbeagle, salmon, and GW sharks. Neither porbeagle or salmon sharks inhabit Floridian waters; GW and makos do. Makos have longer, thinner heads (if that makes sense), smaller dorsal fins and a less-massive body than the animal pictured.

So what about the asymmetrical tail? Sharks have muscles in their fins that allow them to morph the shapes of the fins slightly. Next time you watch a shark swimming, pay attention to the anal and second dorsal fins; their trailing edges move subtly in concert with the tail. If you watch the lower caudal lobe in the video closely, it looks swept back at a different angle than the upper lobe. That's because the shark has it tucked back like that. When fully extended, I have little doubt that it would be a more symmetrical shape.

Thank you for clarifying.

I was just saying that people should follow a statement with a clarification, like you just did.

Just saying, it's a GW, doesn't make it so.

Thank you once again for the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom