Group Trip - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally getting around to uploading a few pics:

Barracuda 1.jpg Filefish.jpg Nurse Sharks.jpg Stingray.jpg Fish with Sun.jpg

Last edited:
Guess we'll see how the summer temperature in Cozumel compares to Louisiana...headed back down 7/17-7/24 :)

The Cajuns have returned to Cozumel :clapping: We now have proof that the first trip was not a fluke. The gang at Tres Pelicanos are even better than before. Even though this trip turned into an anniversary celebration with just the two of us diving, we are being indulged just as well as we were with the group.

I will start a new thread with trip report later.

Interesting point; not all parts of the reef are created equal. In the past it's been indicated by others that if you damage a section of hard coral (let's say your knee bumps into a brain coral, crushing some of the polyps against the hard frame), it will take a very long time for that to 'heal' - if it ever does. You've may have effectively permanently marred that coral.

But the turtle (which probably settles on hard corals from time to time) is eating a sponge, not a coral. Any idea how long it takes a barrel sponge to regenerate that kind of damage?

Most sponges I see diving are in pretty good condition; turtles are common enough that half-eaten (or worse) sponges ought to be very common if regeneration took a long time. But that's just my speculation.

It is tempting to go poke the turtle as if to say 'Yo, Dude, fins off the reef!'

Richard.

Richard -

I have been thinking a long time about what you said here. It's a very good point. Did your speculation ever lead to any research about sponge regeneration? I'm really interested in finding out more about their growth.

On our last trip, I saw a lionfish right in the middle of a barrel sponge and could have nailed it...but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I was too worried about what I might do to the sponge!

Maybe this speculation will bring me to my next level of education in scuba diving...

On our last trip, I saw a lionfish right in the middle of a barrel sponge and could have nailed it...but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I was too worried about what I might do to the sponge!
I'm curious as to what you carry that you would nail it with? I'd love to take some out, but with what? I already pack enough.

I'm curious as to what you carry that you would nail it with? I'd love to take some out, but with what? I already pack enough.

I've never read up on it; I imagine there are many variables (species of sponge, immediate environmental conditions, how big a 'bite' was taken,whether the sponge was knocked over, etc...).

Anyone have a sense of how quickly sponges repopulated reefs hit hard by hurricanes? IIRC, quite some years ago a Hurricane Wilma did serious reef damage in Cozumel; how many big sponges have come up since?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom