groupthink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the BP/W not because DIR divers use them, or because my instructor dives one, but because I have thought about what I want in a BC and I think that it's the best choice for pretty much all of the diving that I do. Sure, those things might influence me, just like any other information or experience might.

Agreeing with the paradigm does not automatically imply unquestioning acceptance of it.

The first is a conclusion reached by logic. The second is concluding that one must follow the rules.

R..

Agreeing with the paradigm does not automatically imply unquestioning acceptance of it.

The first is a conclusion reached by logic. The second is concluding that one must follow the rules.

R..

^^^ Right On!

I have not had as many dives as most but have been certified since the late 80's. I transitioned from the traditional jacket style BCD to a BPW because the more I dove with different styles of BCDs the more I realized my personal desire was less is more. It just so happens that most of the active members on Scubaboard are also very active and passionate divers so it may seem like they are very opinionated. I value other's opinions if they are based on real experience and not just the yapping of the mouth (or keyboard).

I like some of the structure with GUE/DIR but I would never follow the entire methodology because its not what I want out of diving.

As with most internet forums, you get the vocal minority that may appear that their way is the "right" way. But through evolution (or a supreme being) we somehow ended up with a lot of gray matter between our ears. We should use it...

my 2 cents....

:D

Oh, and yes you will die if you don't use a BPW, long hose, and non split fins! :wink:

I think it is useful when people express strong opinions and preferences when accompanied by logic or experience to justify them. It is a waste of everyone’s time to read absolute statements without justification beyond citing some set of rules that they mindlessly memorized.

If (when?) I am guilty of the latter please call me on it and there is no need to be kind. :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom