Grrr... So hard to get out diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillygrendel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Grrr!! I can't seem to manage to get out diving! I just got certified last month in the Keys with a friend of mine out here. It seems that after that they've lost all interest in diving. (I managed to get them to do 1 local dive thus far... Thats gonna be it I think)

I'm kind of in a bad position 'cause I'm only in Pittsburgh 'til the end of July and I partially get the impression the LDS's don't want to spend the effort on me 'cause I'm leaving soon.

;-0

I've been looking into dive club meetings. I found one for this month but they cancelled it! Its a little harder for me to casually go to shops 'cause I have no scuba-mobile. But I don't have a problem planning ahead and renting one! As soon as I know what continent I'm living on I'm going to have to get one :)

I'm going to be in Baltimore for the next month or two anyway. Anyone have any suggestions?? :confused:

I'd really like to get out diving and I even have some new equipment to play with!

Frustrated... Anyone else run into these problems??

Matt

Don't know much about the Baltimore and/or Pittsburgh area, but are there any dive operators close by that you can make reservations to go out on a dive with? Many dive shops have dive charters that you can sign up for, and if you don't have a buddy, they will help buddy you up appropriately.

I know what you mean about not having someone to go diving with - I was nervous about showing up alone - but I just bit the bullet and started going out with various dive operators and getting buddied up on the boat. Still haven't found a regular dive buddy, and hopefully I'll find one eventually - but at least I still am able to get out some.

I'm not sure what you mean by the LDS' not wanting to spend any effort on you - from what I've encountered, you're more than welcome as long as you've got that credit card. :wink:

Chepar,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to get out this weekend with a LDS but they're not sure if they have room and I'm still waiting to hear back. But of course they would rent me the gear! (I don't quite have everything yet.) I just got a brand-spanking-new-never-been-wet reg and can't wait to try it out!! :D

How long have you been buddyless? Aren't there a good number of divers down there?? (Admittedly I don't know much about Hawaii but...)

Matt

Been buddyless since I got certified in 11/01.

None of my friends or family dive - and I've tried getting them interested - a definite no go. They're all golfers and like spending their time (and money) on the green.

I have found that there are a lot of people in Hawaii that got certified at one time or another - but for various reasons no longer are interested. Some find scuba too labor intensive and would rather snorkel, others would rather free dive. Many would rather spend their time surfing or fishing. There's a lot of different water activities to compete with scuba, I've found. :)

I think my main obstacle is finding and keeping in touch with someone that can match with my availability to dive - on my solo appearances on the various dives, I have met some very nice people, but for one reason or another we just can't get our schedules to click.

A good dive buddy that is available to go whenever you are is certainly worth their weight in gold, I believe.

Hope you get your seat this weekend - I know the feeling of wanting to try out new gear. In fact, I'll be trying out my new mask this weekend.

buddies to dive with locally. Thats what initially got me into diving solo. I got tired of never getting to go. I am not recommending solo diving to you. Thats a choice you have to make later after you have some experience. I finally got to get a group together through my then LDS. All were strangers to me. One guy is now a definite dive buddy for whenever we can get together, which is not very often unfortunately. Also I met my main dive buddy through this message board. He was a new diver at the time and is now a dependable dive buddy. We dive for fun but also we both like to learn when we are diving.

My point in all this rambling is to put yourself out there. Go to the LDS and see if there is a trip somewhere local coming up. Find out when they are doing OW cert and show up then ready to dive. Maybe someone else will show up. Maybe there will be an odd number of students and you can be the buddy which gives you more practice on your skills and the chance to go along on the underwater tours. Of course you will need to clear this with the instructor before hand and possibly the LDS owner.

Good luck.

jbd - sounds like I'll have to grill my LDS a little harder. Do you dive doubles or bring a pony when you go solo? (I know I'm not ready for that yet, but just curious)

Best of luck finding a buddy Chepar -- have fun with the new mask. I'd be glad to dive with you if I'm ever out there. (right now looks like going just about anywhere is possible)

I'm currently looking for a new job... Preferably someplace where there is both good diving and rock climbing!

I guess an interetesting job wouldn't be too bad either :)

Silly,
This happens all the time. Take heart; you're just off to a slow start.

1) Have u tried the reg in the pool? Don't presume that it will work fine just because it's new! I had an Octo which was missing a piece out of the box. I did not know that it sucked water like a straw until I took it in the pool for OOA practice!

2) July is almost over. Nevermind trying to be part of the PA dive community. Just get into that wetsuit & practice skin-diving (safe enough without a buddy) in the local conditions.
You will stay in practice with entries, exits, & kicking in current. Pools help a bit too.

3) At your next longer-term destination, consider a class. If u have done AOW, perhaps u can try a drysuit, nitrox, or wreck-diving course. Then actively exchange ph #'s with classmates! Plan a diving reunion before the class disbands. This is how I got most of my cool buddies!

4) Continue persuing your love of the underwater world regardless your access to water: books & signings, museum presentations, etc. You meet kindred spirits & learn useful things while u wait for the right buddy. Good lluck!

Definately check out your regs first - I was having a lot of trouble with my primary 2nd breathing really wet, yet the octo was fine. Brought them back to my LDS and they found that the diaphram had been installed cockeyed by the factory. The repair only took 2 mins and it would have saved me a bit of stress when I was in the lake fighting it.

Thanks for the suggestions art.chick, I want to take a rescue class in Baltimore while I'm there.

chrispete - I'm hoping to be able to try out the reg tonight or tomorrow in a pool and make sure its working!

Matt

Last week I dove with Surface Interval Dive Charter out of Delaware. The boat is located about 10 miles north of Ocean City, Maryland. I was buddyless, but they paired me up with someone on the boat. They run a top notch charter operation - definately check out their website.

Back
Top Bottom