Gue DIR-F vs Naui intro to tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5:
I took my NAUI Tech training through Andrew. It all boils down to the instructor.

Always, it depends on the instructor; Lots of open water time, a good guy/gal as the teacher, that is what matters. Keep taking classes, keep learning.

Tavi:
I don't think I was told wrong as:
Equipment configuration for my NAUI tec class was from GUE standards.
The point is in word "my". In any other NAUI tech class with any other instructor different equipment could be used.

Tavi:
Like I said above Deco was different as NAUI uses the RGBM Tables.
It's not only that different tables are used. Complete approach to deco is different. GUE teaches deco-on-the-fly giving diver (team) a tool that enables him (them) to dive without beeing strictly bind to pre-planned run-time.

Tavi:
The aproach was team focused.
I can't comment on this because I wasn't at your class.

Tavi:
This is the kind of stuff that turns people off to GUE/DIR
Telling me I'm wrong before you know the facts.

If you are trained GUE, my NAUI Tec Instructor (who is the one that told me that) used to dive with your tec Instructors Boss and His Buddy.
Seems that because of this there would be more similarities than differences.
The fact that your NAUI Tech instructor has told you that doesn't mean that this is correct. Maybe GUE instructors have different opinion on this. Why do you think that stating that two classes from two different organizations are indeed different would turn somebody off to GUE/DIR?

MonkSeal:
It's not only that different tables are used. Complete approach to deco is different. GUE teaches deco-on-the-fly giving diver (team) a tool that enables him (them) to dive without beeing strictly bind to pre-planned run-time.
Does it allow them to dive without a strictly pre-planned run-time or does allow them to make relatively minor modifications to a dive plan based on actual vs. planned depths?

Hmm, where the heck did GUE come up with DOTF, anyway? :06:

:wink:

StSomewhere:
Does it allow them to dive without a strictly pre-planned run-time or does allow them to make relatively minor modifications to a dive plan based on actual vs. planned depths?
In few words (but it can't be explained in few words especialy from someone who hasn't completely adopted it) it's based on tracking average depth and knowledge on total deco time for certain exposures. There's no strict deco run-time like: "in minute x you have to be at depth y". I'm still in learning process and IMO using such tool greatly depends on experience. And, as you know, it can't be learn on the Internet :wink:

MonkSeal:
Thats not quite right. Deco on the fly (ie Ratio Deco) is just one tool used to calculate a deco schedule. (If you have a problem with this concept, ask yourself "Why does GUE sell Deco Planner?").

What was the original point of this thread again??

I was thinking the issues were really boiling down to:

- GUE DIR-F is a known item. What you get is gonna be pretty good regardless of who you take it from. To AG's point, some instructors will offer more than others given that not every instructor (even GUE ones) are created equal.

- NAUI Intro to tech might or might not be good. It all depends on what the instructor brings to the table. It would be hard to find a NAUI instructor who teaches a DIR based Intro to tech presuming that not a lot of ex-GUE instructors are teaching an intro to tech class.

- 5thd-x's Intro to tech is not your garden variety intro to tech. I dunno if you can easily compare it to DIR-F but it is based on DIR principles and some of the content overlap. Again, as with the two previous points, it's all about what the instructor brings to the table. Everyone can draw their own conclusions about AG, JT and DM. I think there are plenty of opinions floating out there.

Adobo:
What was the original point of this thread again??
and that matters? That topic has been beaten to death and we have moved on.

JeffG:
and that matters? That topic has been beaten to death and we have moved on.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Perhaps it might be more appropriate to put this thread to rest and open a thread more specific to the new topics at hand.

Some of us dullards might mistakenly go to this thread thinking that it is still about useful information that describes the difference between Naui intro to tech and DIR-F.

Adobo:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Perhaps it might be more appropriate to put this thread to rest and open a thread more specific to the new topics at hand. .
If there is something worthy to discuss...maybe, but I don't see it yet.

Adobo:
Some of us dullards might mistakenly go to this thread thinking that it contains useful information that describes the difference between Naui intro to tech and DIR-F.
They will get their answer in the first couple of pages. Any thread that goes over 3 or 4 pages (~70 messages) typically wander on/off topic. The nature of human conversation.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom