GUE Fundamentals and Finding an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cashew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Lots of people here mention how GUE Fundamentals might be a good way to supplement your recreational training skills and to work on improving basic dive skills.

I have a perhaps really low level question on this -- looking at the GUE webpage, there seems to be (literally) only a handful of GUE-certified instructors available: https://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/Training/Instructors/index.html

Is the list really that small?

that's more than enough..... The reason the class and agency come so highly recommended is because they can maintain the quality control over their instructors. You look at PADI who has to certify 21 instructors a month, every month, for the last three decades, vs GUE who has 21 total, have to go through evaluations regularly, and were good divers to begin with, and it becomes painfully obvious why GUE is the standard for instruction right now.

Disclaimer, not a gue diver, never will be, don't agree with some of their bigger fundamentals, sidemount, solo diving, ccr, etc. but the facts stand for themselves

UTD also has similar course called "Essentials."

Lots of people here mention how GUE Fundamentals might be a good way to supplement your recreational training skills and to work on improving basic dive skills.

I have a perhaps really low level question on this -- looking at the GUE webpage, there seems to be (literally) only a handful of GUE-certified instructors available: https://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/Training/Instructors/index.html

Is the list really that small?

Yes but they travel. In other words, even if there is not one close to where you live, you can schedule an instructor to fly in to teach. Obviously there would be additional expenses involved so having a group of friends taking fundies with you will help.

Another option is to travel somewhere interesting to take fundies. There are GUE instructors who live in Florida so I imagine a few of them teach by the ocean. I know one instructor who lives/used to live part time in Hawaii. That could be fun too.

As mentioned above, most of us (GUE and UTD instructors) are willing to travel but the compensation details vary. I travel often not just for courses but demos and lectures (rock bottom, balanced rig etc) as well. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When We took Fundies we brought an instructor to us as there were none in our area. The cost wasn't that much split between 3 people. And it was well worth it to me as it was still one of the most rewarding classes I've taken.

Sent via

Thanks everyone. Seems like the way to go is to contact an instructor that will travel to you (or you travel to them). Will research and reach out at the appropriate time! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom