GUE fundamentals class and begining Tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that true on average? I know of people not passing on the first try, but not without extenuating circumstances. To be fair, I haven't asked all my current tech buddies how many times it took, but it would surprise me if more don't pass than pass (first try).

I am sure there are a lot of divers who passed the first go-round. Mentor with GUE/UTD grads until ready, then take the class. Sums up the situation rather quickly. :)

Please don't get me wrong, I am not all about getting a card. Honestly, I could care less...I just want to become better at what I do. If I decide to pursue GUE or stay on the TDI route it will most likely happen next year after I get a year of deco under my belt.

I am open to any thoughts. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

imo, you would be better served taking Fundies sooner rather than later. I know you have many years of experience, but Fundies is a basic class that does not require decompression diving. The sooner you get in, the sooner you can break whatever bad habits you might have formed over the past years.

Besides, if you're looking for GUE tech training, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do a year's worth of tech dives before starting on the GUE path. FWIW, it's a great class regardless of whether or not you stick with the GUE path.

Also, I happen to know of a number of my buddies who did pass their GUE T1 class on the first try. While I'm sure getting a provisional (read: not a fail) is not uncommon, I do know of a decent number of people who got a pass on their first try.

Is that true on average? I know of people not passing on the first try, but not without extenuating circumstances. To be fair, I haven't asked all my current tech buddies how many times it took, but it would surprise me if more don't pass than pass (first try).

-Marc... has 'not passed' a tech class :wink:

I have taken both Fundementals and GUE Tech1, albit a few years ago.

I would say that getting a "tech pass" in Fundamentals is quite a hurdle if you don't have friends/mentors to work with you beforehand or if you aren't naturally gifted and able to learn and adapt rapidly, or lastly taking the class over multiple weekends which allows you to incorporate feedback during the intervening weeks.

With the relatively modern GUE-F tech pass in hand, most(?) Tech1 students seem to be doing ok on their first try taking this class.

I took a year between Fundementals and Tech1, but this was in the pre-"Tech-pass" days. At the time, Tech1 was a very different class with a much much lower pass rate. I still think a 6-12 month timeframe between these courses is realistic from a budget/practice standpoint.

There are several GUE-F instructors much closer to Maryland than High Springs, FL: Ed Gabe, Bob Sherwood, and Ed Hayes.
GUE Instructors | Global Underwater Explorers
Bob is the only Tech1 instructor "close by" however.

"MDWreckdiver" I think you'll find the DM course is not very useful to tech diving. I don't know with whom you're taking TDI Adv-nitrox/deco, this may or may not help your progression through the GUE curriculm. Depending on the instructor it will either be a great leg up or have created a whole mess of "bad" habits.

Bob Sherwood does an outstanding class. Call and talk to him about the class. Just a few minutes on the phone and you will start to feel his love for teaching. :D

Im not sure the not passing on the first try thing is true

I know tons of people who have never failed a gue class

I would echo the "Sooner rather than later" people. GUE-F will give you a good idea of what GUE training is all about, and while you may or may not decide to further your education in GUE the skills and knowledge are useful for all of your diving afterwards.

"Non-tech diver here" clause.

Peace,
Greg

MDWreckdiver,

Dutch Springs, PA is the closest place to get your questions answered. They will open the first week in April. PM me if you have questions or are interested in meeting there. (While my current location is listed as Massachusetts, I hail from Maryland and have a second residence on the upper Chesapeake Bay)

I just took a GUE-F class with Bob Sherwood in Florida (while Dutch was closed and frozen over) and can second the comment about his outstanding teaching abilities.

One thing to keep in mind is that remote classes bear some logistical risks and most of the time there is little control over the team configuration, no time to practice together before, and little time to make up for missing skills or shaky team dynamics.

I took the class in Florida in the hopes to pass and to hit the ground running (towards Tech 1) in the spring but in hindsight it would have been less frustrating and a whole lot cheaper to enter a local GUE-F class with folks I dived with before and will dive with after.

The higher pass ratio beyond Fundies that rjack321 mentioned is largely due to the lesson learned in Fundies on how important the team aspect is.

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the helpful gouge. You guys are great, I appreciate the support.

fair wind and following seas

Last edited:
I took both of the courses you mention (GUE-F with Ed Hayes and GUE T1 with Bob Sherwood). I found both classes to be outstanding and I'd highly recommend you getting in touch with both of those instructors (who are relatively local to you).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom