GUE Fundies question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bs63366

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering when I go to take a fundies class the 400 meter swim, will that be in just a swim suit or will we get to use a mask fin and snorkel? Also are you supposed to do a certain stroke or can you use any stroke to meet the time requirement. Thanks for your time, just wanna make sure that I train the right way to get ready for a Fundies class.

Kyle

just a swim suit. any stroke is fine
if it's done somewhere cold I'm sure they'd let you use some exposure protection

It's only in a swimsuit, you can use goggles or a mask, but no fins, you're allowed to use any stroke you want, back stroke, side stroke, stroke stroke etc. The swim in my opinion wasn't that big a deal, you just have to keep swimming.

Ryan

It's only in a swimsuit, you can use goggles or a mask, but no fins, you're allowed to use any stroke you want, back stroke, side stroke, stroke stroke etc. The swim in my opinion wasn't that big a deal, you just have to keep swimming.

Ryan

Lmao!

For GUE Fundamentals, this is the swim requirement per the latest 2010 standards (Version 5.1):

"Must be able to swim at least 300 yards/275 meters in under fourteen minutes without stopping. This test should be conducted in a swimsuit and, where necessary, appropriate thermal protection."

"Must be able to swim a distance of at least 16 yards/15 meters on a breath hold"

The Fundies swim isn't bad. I did it sidestroke, because I'm not very good at the crawl, and made it in a little over ten minutes. A classmate did it backstroke, and he made the time, too (and we had to do 400 yards, which apparently isn't uncommon).

On the surface, I swim with all the grace of a dying fish, and I made it. So don't stress yourself out about training for it, it's a non-issue for the vast majority.

I had to do the 400 yd, I used mostly a freestyle stroke, mixed in with a breast stroke. It really wasn't too bad. I did practice at my gym pool in the months leading up to it. You'll be surprised how quickly you adapt to aerobic exercise.

I wouldn't worry too much about the swim. The time allotted is more than most people need. At first I tried to make time using a breast stroke but I'm really an incredibly poor swimmer, so I tired quickly and shortly reduced myself to using a nice relaxing pace with a backstoke for the remaining 9/10ths of the swim. Even though I took my time and I swam very slow I still managed to finish in 10 or 11 minutes. It isn't a speed test, it's more of an endurance test, with room to spare.

Before doing the 15 m underwater swim try to relax for few mins (usually 2 mins its enough). Inhale/exhale 20-25 times. Inhale 2s / Exhale 4s...Inhale 4s / Exhale 8s..... Inhale 6s / Exhale 12s. Try to do at least 10 reps 6/12. When you finish the last round....Inhale and go. You`ll perform 50% better by doing this exercise. Good luck!

Breaststroke seems to be the easier style to do. 10 mins / 275m is a decent swimming time.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom