GUE Manuals/Textbooks/Course books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermike1011

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone:

I've done some searching and I can't really find what I've been looking for, which is a review of any book or manual put out by GUE. I'm certainly interested in buying some to expand my dive library, but they're pricey enough I wanted to see if anyone has experience with them.

Michael

I got the Fundamentals one when I registered for the class. I've quickly skimmed through it and it's pretty dang good. It was written by JJ, who is the founder/owner/CEO of Halcyon and GUE so it's only got one point of view for the most part, but it's worth it if that's what you're looking for. It gave really good perspective on diving that I hadn't really thought about. I'm going to read more of it before my class in April. Hope this helps.

Thanks Kaiser & Scott.

I wasn't a fan of the Fundies book. It's not bad, but there are few odd or outdated things in it that didn't mesh with my Fundies class. It could use a minor edit/revision IMHO, but I don't think that really makes any sense given its potential distribution.

The fundies book is OK, but you can generally find the outline of the DIR configuration on-line. Your best bet for actual information would be the Rec1-3 book and the Tech1-3 book. Great reads, really in depth, and cover a lot of ideas and material pretty well. I dont know how the cave manual is, but I assume it is likely very high quality as well. The slides for the courses are generally well setup and informative too. Nothing can beat the books + instruction though.

Yes, in the version I had there was a picture of the donor regulator and the light in the right hand, effectivly blinding the donee.

Thanks everyone!

I will take some instruction once I return to the mainland, as far as I've been able to tell there are no UTD or GUE instructors out here in Hawaii, but I know there is at least one UTD shop in the Seattle metro area, so once we move I will. At the moment I just want to expand my theoretical knowledge base while I work on my PADI professional ratings.

Michael

Thanks everyone!

I will take some instruction once I return to the mainland, as far as I've been able to tell there are no UTD or GUE instructors out here in Hawaii, but I know there is at least one UTD shop in the Seattle metro area, so once we move I will. At the moment I just want to expand my theoretical knowledge base while I work on my PADI professional ratings.

Michael

I thought Gideon Liew was out there. Gideon Liew - GUE Instructor - Hawaii - Jun 2010 | Photo | DiveBuddy.com

From what I hear he is an amazing instructor.

Back
Top Bottom