GUE Tech vs. TDI Tech classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, shoot, Guy, I was keeping you a secret . . .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There seems to be a pattern here, I cannot confirm or deny lunch bribes given to a certain GUE instructor that operates out of Lexington, KY. :rofl3:

Some may be more guilty than others, but Subway is a good starting point.....:rofl3:

Subway? I was expecting more expensive tastes. From Seattle I expected maybe Taco Bell or something.....:)

Lynne, we will be on the 8:30 ferry or earlier so we will be at the dive site at about 10:30. We have scooters and a bunch of stuff. I think I will bring a HD camera on the scooter and get some footage of the sponges. Kind of a nice way to start the new year!

You are just saying this 'cause you heard I was coming diving this Saturday and you are hoping I will buy you lunch...:)

Timmy Horton's the best you'll get outa me!

I'll have the CSI scooty so you better be Rule 1 compliant!

Yay, you're coming! It will be SO good to finally get to meet you!

Timmy Horton's the best you'll get outa me!

I'll have the CSI scooty so you better be Rule 1 compliant!

I will be bringing a camera as well so wear your best drysuit :) Tim Horton's? Sigh......you watch too much Canadian television..... C ya' on Saturday. Have a safe trip.

G

I will be bringing a camera as well so wear your best drysuit :) Tim Horton's? Sigh......you watch too much Canadian television..... C ya' on Saturday. Have a safe trip.

G

Right, White Spot for you high rolling islanders.

see around about 10:30 Sat.

I'm saying that non-GUE instructors who haven't been through a GUE IDC are not teaching the "GUE curriculum". Even if they have taken GUE classes themselves at some point in the past. Its no different than if a GUE instructor took a TDI class and then claimed to be teaching TDI's curriculum.

If you want a GUE class you need to take a GUE class, not UTD, not NAUI-tech, not TDI etc, not by some instructor "just like GUE". Likewise in all the reverse examples.

To say otherwise is essentially claiming that agency IDCs are worthless and don't give instructors anything that they can't get through a course as a student. Maybe some IDCs actually are worthless; I wouldn't know I've never taken one :idk: There are a disappointingly large number of instructors who are claiming to be "just like GUE" though. I guess its good marketing, but it diminishes the accomplishments of those who have actually earned that status - its a tough rigorous road through internships, IDCs, more internships, and final evaluation.
Avoid those who claim to know the truth by spouting contemptuous, patronizing and faux-elitist generalizations.

Rather than rjack's ideology and the group think mentality above, it really all comes back to being about the Instructor and the best practices that s/he employs for the type of diving that you wish to learn. The Hogarthian/DIR approach IMHO is the best paradigm and approach to advanced diving, technical and overhead.

For example, a TDI dive instructor who uses a "GUE curriculum" and teaches wreck diving in continuous residence at Truk Lagoon is much more qualified to teach that kind of local diving in that region than any current genuine GUE Instructor. Conversely, that same TDI instructor probably couldn't teach you anything specific about the tactics and strategy of extensive cave penetrations in Florida, even if he did receive basic cave training & certification as well (and obviously you would be better served by the Florida GUE instructor).

The object is to find the Instructor & Agency that incorporates these DIR techniques & procedures and best applies them to the particular environment that you will be exposed to.

That's the more practical solution --rather than posting agency bashing and other useless inflammatory rhetoric. . .:no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom