GUE vs. TDI in terms of opportunities in scientific research projects?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking to get into tech training but not sure about which agency to go with. There are number of TDI and GUE instructors in my area and I've heard good things about both sides. I've heard of people doing scientific projects collaborating with research centers, etc and I'm hoping I can participate in those things. I wonder if there's a significant difference in involvement in research projects between those two agencies?

Just by doing a simple Google search I could find GUE projects around the world but hard to find any TDI posts, not sure if that could conclude to GUE have more opportunities to get in touch with the scientific world...
If you are GUE trained you can participate in GUE projects and also ones put on by non-GUE groups. If you train with TDI you most likely won't be able to dive on GUE projects. If I was just starting out I would go with the GUE training.

And the daily rates are often on par with similar courses, so just stop with your pricing exclusivity nonsense.
If I re-did all my classes with gue, I'd be out 20 grand, easily. It's WAY more expensive. Even some gue guys I know will say (offline) that the prices have gotten insane. It's a bloody scuba diving.

If I re-did all my classes with gue, I'd be out 20 grand, easily. It's WAY more expensive. Even some gue guys I know will say (offline) that the prices have gotten insane. It's a bloody scuba diving.
I'm not asking to bicker with you, but would you mind listing the courses you'd need to replace? As far as I am concerned, to reach my current level, I'd need open water with some agency, fundies, T1, and then MOD1 (outside of GUE). Now my fundies class was $800. Last I heard T1 was $2600 (plus gasses). Those two classes compared to the basically worthless con ed courses I took from different agencies (at $250 a pop) come out as less total not including my AN/DP and trimix courses. And I'd have been a better diver today as a result.

Come to think of it. @SpeedyJ the few month back I talked to a younger dude who did fundis and is a big gue fan. He ended up doing intro to cave with tdi or iantd because he couldn't afford cave1. Now he says he's getting goofed on by his gue buddies for having taken an inferior class... that kind of stuff bothers me and IMHO it's very typical.
A few grand extra you might not care about but other people do (especially the younger people).

Let's say the classes are 2k a pop for the instructor. There are only 11 classes on the tech side of the curriculum, so you'd have taken basically the entire portfolio.

That seems unlikely, and it's more likely you're engaging in hyperbole because gue hurt your feelings.

Come to think of it. @SpeedyJ the few month back I talked to a younger dude who did fundis and is a big gue fan. He ended up doing intro to cave with tdi or iantd because he couldn't afford cave1. Now he says he's getting goofed on by his gue buddies for having taken an inferior class... that kind of stuff bothers me and IMHO it's very typical.
He took a class that is not the same progression, and doesn't have the same student outcomes. Based on the certification limits at Cave 2, the courses required from IANTD are a grand total of $100 cheaper than C1 + C2 at my preferred training center, so he's likely not going to save much money in the long run - its just broken into smaller chunks.

Life is full of choices, he decided to make a different one than his buddies. Now he wants to complain that they aren't jumping for joy with him? Look at it from the other side, his buddies decided they want to train to certain standards and use certain protocols - he decided to be odd man out and now wants acceptance.

Let's say the classes are 2k a pop for the instructor.
🤣🤣🤣
Yeah, 2 grand per class. That must be the price for cave1 12 years ago sans expenses.

Look at it from the other side, his buddies decided they want to train to certain standards and use certain protocols - he decided to be odd man out and now wants acceptance.
You sure sound like the stereotypical gue guy.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Hello, this thread has gotten very contentious. I have half a mind to delete half the posts in the thread, since it has devolved into pure bickering. But, some of the earlier bickering does actually address the OP's question, albeit in a roundabout and often abrasive way. Instead, I have just deleted a few posts that contained nothing but insults.

I think there is hope for this thread, if we can all do our best to avoid it becoming a POV war over GUE moving forward. Thank you

I do have to admit I think actually going down the GUE route would be less cost. I went down the pick my courses based on instructors route (I could care less about the agency) and spent way way way more on training through a hodge podge of agencies and instructors then I would if I just followed the GUE path. Just my CC courses between MOD 1, 2, 3, various cross overs, various specialize non agency supported trainings, I'm sure I am easily $16k-$18K into training. GUE path probably would have cost me well over half that. And then OC wise I am sure I am easily $8k into that from ANDP to ADV trimix to full tech cave (most of my OC trainings were quite a while ago so im sure prices are even higher now) Lets be honest any very well know good instructor now a day is charging upwards of $300 a day and any good instructor is teaching you for way more days the the agency min required days. I would venture to guess that well known reputable non GUE instructors are charging more that GUE one especially when you start getting into 1:1 or 2:1 ratio course.

But then again I don't know if my diving would be where it is at now unless I went down the route I did and hand picked the instructors I did. Also to get back on topic for research diving (or at least the kind I was doing) the GUE profile and standard kit was not going to work. For starters the GUE JJ setup would not work at all for the diving I am doing (my JJ is setup very very different from a GUE JJ), BO configurations and standards gases would not work, equipment setup would not work.

Not saying there is anything wrong with GUE, actually if a brand new diver was to ask me how to get into diving I would recommend them to a GUE instructor and tell them to go down that route. I do think the standards are held higher. But I also think that you instructor and good training is what actually makes a good diver. Agencies don't.

Lets be honest any very well know good instructor now a day is charging upwards of $300 a day and any good instructor is teaching you for way more days the the agency min required days.
Not in Europe. I think the most I paid per day was 250 Euros.
I agree that 'well known' instructors do charge more but I don't think they are necessarily the good ones. At least a few of the 'well known' guys I know don't put out good students. Some are pretty bad actually ... yet they're expensive.
I think min days per class is fine depending on the students. If you go through all skills well, I don't see why you'd wanna add extra days. You can still keep training without the instructor watching you. It's not that you're doing that much new stuff per class anyway. There is a lot of repetition across all classes and I found there isn't that much (new) meat on the bone in most classes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom