Guests of Sunscape, Secrets & Residencias Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best option is to simply steer clear of Cozumel AI’s in general that represent some of the biggest ripoffs in the Caribbean. Lousy or no beaches, lousy food, often noticeable deferred maintenance, with many carved out of a section of jungle miles from town. I’d feel like a prisoner in one of those places. I agree, best thing to do is instruct divers to wade out to the boat and then explain to them that the All Inclusive they are paying a fortune for doesn’t include the use of the dock unless they dive with the crappy in-house dive op.

]
el9owz.jpg

I think I payed $65 a day for this prison cell at Sunscape. That included food and a car.

I can vouch for the lousy food at CZ AI resorts - 15 trips, 3 AIs and they all sucked!

I personally cant understand the positive reviews Cozumel AI’s receive on TA. It makes me think those reviewers have never been to another AI anywhere else! I mean, seriously, AI’s throughout the Caribbean can be fantastic places with massive palm shaded natural sand beaches, pools and lazy rivers so large they can be seen from space and food on par with the better cruise lines. I can see the AI thing if one has little kids or pre-teens perhaps but otherwise I say people are throwing their money away. As many here know, you can stay in town or even close to town in wonderful accommodations, dive with fantastic dive ops, and drink and eat your through the best restaurants San Miguel has to offer at a fraction of the price one pays to stay at an AI and turn like hot dogs on a 7-11 roller grill with.500 of your closest gringo friends all waiting to belly up and stuffa their faces at the feeding trough again. Yuck!

Last summer after a night dive a couple was dropped off at that pier. There were two couples dressed completely in white having dinner at the end of the pier. They didn't look too happy when we pulled up, I enjoyed it though. Maybe they are trying to reduce boat traffic by making it more difficult for dive operators.

I enjoyed the AI at Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise. Their food was fine and the price reasonable.

Agree with the Chairman & will be there in a few weeks. I just checked the rates for Bed & Breakfast vs AI for Jan 18-22 & guess what. SAME PRICE. Now the AI price fluctuates with season & so does the variety but in most cases I get way more value than I pay for PLUS great service, a big pool & beach club area. I'm taking a vacation not a bare bones dive trip. What suits some doesn't necessarily suit me & many others.

Secrets was the absolute worst experience I have ever had in my scuba dive love affair. Scary and dangerous. It was my 50th Birthday and I went solo "preferred" (yeah-right-sure) and was met by Nelly with a hot flat glass of sparkling wine and it got worse everyday.

No rum what-so-ever in my one-a-day Pina Colada and the omelette chef took my ingredients I had picked out, in to the back, behind closed doors, and added something nefarious to it. Didn't eat it.

Because I complained to the manager that a maintenance man was picking the lock of my door while he thought I was diving, but stayed in with a cold.

Tripadvisor did not publish that review.

Secrets CZM is a cesspit and I almost contacted an attorney but that would have been another drama which should not come from a vacation where I bring lots of tipping money.

There are the best restaurants in Cozumel and going AI was a really dumb move on my part.

Of course they're going to gouge Divers and Operators because that is what Secrets does.
Simple solution is to not stay there! Read all their bad reviews which DO get thru... now.

It's great to hear some other experiences besides the glowing reviews on trip advisor. I really want to try Cozumel and was looking at AI's ONLY because they seem to have any semblance of a beach for the non-diver.

I've stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel and they're pretty decent. AI or not. I hate to see them lumped in with Secrets.

I have only stayed in an AI on one occasion. It was a great deal in Grand Cayman with our local dive op. Since the island is so hideously expensive, this seemed to be the most logical of choices. First night grilled steak, salmon or chicken. Second night, steak, salmon or chicken quesadillas. Third night steak, salmon or chicken wraps. It was clearly re-purposed/recycled scraps from the previous night(s). Never again. Cozumel has the most abundant choices of places to eat than any other island that I have visited. I know there are some good AI's, and I can see why it is an attractive option for some people. While I am not sympathetic towards Secrets getting the penalty box by the dive community, I do feel bad for the condo owners at Residencias Reef. I love the grounds, units and the vibe of the place. It doesn't seem to be in the best interest of anybody for the dive ops to dissuade or influence clients from staying there because of grievances with the pier management. As long as the fees and transparency of the process is disclosed, there should be no other factoring influencing the decision of where to stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom