Guinness Record breaker at Gilboa Quarry July 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there, I had a great time at Gilboa and the EVENT!

First off, it was great to meet a few folks from SCUBABOARD, and the Great Lakes dudes and dudettes. I also met a slew of divers from other states. I had a ball just walking around, introducing myself, and saying "I'm Todd! First time here, I'm having a blast and were are you from?" :)

It was awesome to be a part of this event, and I'm ready for the next year. I had a chance to meet Mike for the first time (and Jodi), and enjoyed talking with the both of them. I plan on volunteering and helping out as best as I can next year.

Ber Rabbit was great, and it was interesting to hang out at Skinnys Friday night with some new dive buddies. PLUS, it was unique to see some dude drop his pants and dance on the bar in his boxers. Apparantly, that's a standard event at Skinnys.

For the amount of divers there, I thought the staff did great, and things moved well when it came time to get in the water. When Ber Rabbit gave the word to saddle up and get in our lane, I pretty much put on my gear, walked maybe thirty yards to the stairs then dock, and entered the water. AT most, I stood for four or five minutes in line. Which, is how long you usually spend chatting with a dive buddy before you dive! There were volunteers helping folks into the water, which helped immensly. Some of us used the steps, others did a giant stride between the two entry points. I got to giant stride, and the guy helping me was great.

- "Tank on?"
- "BC partially inflated?"
- "Comfortable and okay?"
- "Enter the water."

Oh, right before this, my name was checked-off the list.

My only complaint, is that I messed up my digital camera from the dive! SOME HOW, I freaking deleted all of my pics from the dive! GEEZ! SO, I have nothing to show! I have some great pics of the event though (non-water)... Okay, if anyone took pics in the water, I'd love to get some! Please shoot me a PM so we can discuss! :)

Anyways, that's all I have! I know ScubaGirl2009 had a blast 2. We stayed late Sunday afternoon, and made two dives. Freaking sweet.

I just wanted to say that it was great meeting some of you at Gilboa this past weekend. I was the guy with the 2 Pugs -- Apollo and Reggie say thanks for the water!

Maybe next year I can help get more people from Kentucky up there so we can break the record next time!

Hey there, I saw the pugs!

Looking for next year for sure!

Hey, thanks to all of you I met out at Gilboa, and those who participated in the event. It was an awesome weekend, and my girlfriend and I had a great time. I'm the one with the Beagle and the Husky. I'm sure my dogs remember your pugs KyKajun, I know I remember them.

I heard we broke the record for the most divers submerged in a quarry with 794 divers, and the most submerged in freshwater. Hopefully one of those records can be submitted and approved by Guinness! If anyone knows about these records be sure to post your information, I would love to know!

Thanks again to everyone, it was a great weekend of diving fun! Be sure to head out next year so we can set the most submerged at once record!!

I saw the pugs as well, I think you were camped near us. We were the two small cocoon looking tents behind the gold 4Runner. Hey deepfly1, didn't you win a scooter? My wife/daughter/son and I sat with you at dinner and saw you go up. Got to meet Ber Rabbit and watch her table clean up at prize time. Mike kept saying he was pulling numbers instead of names to keep it fair but.....just kidding! I just need to sit at your lucky table next year.

Overall an unbelievable weekend record or not! As Mike said, if someone had said before the event that 794 divers would get in the water, do a twenty minute dive, and be out of the water in 1 1/2 hours I would have said no way (and still went obviously). Organizationally there are a few things that can be improved (and Mike/Jodi/all were taking notes) but for a first time I thought it went VERY smoothly. It was just a good time atmosphere all weekend and well worth the entry. New campground and bridge are a great addition to the site. Mike was obviously having a good time and it showed during prize time with his spur of the moment additions during the give aways along with the $2500 prize for next year if we get to 500 in 30 days (was he drinking?). A couple things that shouldn't change is the Cow Chip Bingo and the homemade ice cream with brownies. As to my participation, we have a Boy Scout outing to Philmont next year in July and I don't have the dates yet. If there is no conflict then four more will be added to the attempt list!

Got to meet Ber Rabbit and watch her table clean up at prize time. Mike kept saying he was pulling numbers instead of names to keep it fair but.....just kidding! I just need to sit at your lucky table next year.

Hey now, there are still a couple of us that didn't win scooters! The varmint even kicked me during drawing...for luck I'm sure... :shakehead:

I just wanted to say that it was great meeting some of you at Gilboa this past weekend. I was the guy with the 2 Pugs -- Apollo and Reggie say thanks for the water!

Maybe next year I can help get more people from Kentucky up there so we can break the record next time!

I'm the one who gave Apollo and Reggie a bowl of water while we were talking at my campsite LOL

it was great meeting everyone as well. next year we need to have a solid meeting time/place for the Sb group. now I'm seeing descriptions of tons of people I saw, walked past, camped near and even talked to but had no idea who they were LOL. For those who don't know, I was there with my GF and 2-15 year olds. we had a few tents and I think we were the only ones with a tan/brown canopy. I also won one of the scooters :)

Anyways, cant wait till next year!

Rob

What a great weekend even though I didn't make the Scubaboard party Friday night because a tire blew on the trailer. I have signed up for next year. I was a lane sheperd for dock 3 and we got all of our divers in the water first. I was one of the Canadians wearing a drysuit with no hood or gloves! I seen Ber Rabbit all weekend but didn't get a chance to meet her, so I am still SB stickerless. I hope to get the chance to meet all of you next year.

it was great meeting everyone as well. next year we need to have a solid meeting time/place for the Sb group. now I'm seeing descriptions of tons of people I saw, walked past, camped near and even talked to but had no idea who they were LOL.

Rob

Good idea. Maybe we all could wear them "Hello my name is.." stickers around all weekend:dork2:

Or, we could just all purchase various, crazy sorts of headgear, and be noticed that way! I saw Berr getting stopped LOTS with those bunny ears on her head!

It is funny that there are folks posting, who I KNOW I saw, but didn't know they were on SB! I'm sure we will meet soon!

Can't say enough about how enjoyable the whole weekend was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom