Guinness Record breaker at Gilboa Quarry July 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was watching from upstairs and it was an amazing view. I heard from one of Mike's employee's that they did not break the record but I never heard an offical number. I didn't hear about any incidents but again, I was up top, not on the ground with everyone else. Lifeflight landed for a few minutes but not to transport anyone, I believe they were supposed to take an ariel photo while they were in the area.

Careflight was there as a precaution, but they got called out on a separate call, don't know what it was.

We did have one incident I am aware of, one diver on dock 6 collapsed as he was exiting the water. He had to be pulled out, I got his gear out once they had him on the dock and being attended to. Ironically, this was occurring just as Careflight left!

The diver was breathing and responsive, and was put on oxygen. After about 5 or 10 minutes, he was able to stand and walk clear, but he did have to lay back down on oxygen after a short walk.

When I turned his gear over to the Sherriffs rep there on the dock with us, he said he had just gone thru this exact gear (for this same diver, for this same set of signs) 2 weeks prior.

Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it went.

Ken

When I turned his gear over to the Sherriffs rep there on the dock with us, he said he had just gone thru this exact gear (for this same diver, for this same set of signs) 2 weeks prior.

Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it went.

Ken

Um...someone tell that guy to get to a diving doc and not enter the water until he does!!!

Um...someone tell that guy to get to a diving doc and not enter the water until he does!!!

Agree. Actually doesn't even need to be a diving doc. Most any GP or pulmonary type doc should be able to get him pointed in the right direction.

Back in Chicago. Gilboa is a pretty cool quarry. Thanks to Wolfgang from Canada for the guided tour on Friday! Overall the event went smoothly, esp considering it was their first time doing one of this magnitude.

I made the mistake of underestimating my undergarments. I had on what I needed for a 20-minute dive at 20', but since drysuit divers jumped in first, I was a little chilly by the time we descended.

As someone else stated, we didn't break the record, but they're going to try again next year. Mike offered a $2,500 drawing if at least 500 people sign up for the 2010 event during the next 30 days.

Great weekend. I think Mike did a great job with set-up for a first attempt. From what I heard the number was at 794 with over 100 paying no shows. In my opinion the whole process was smooth, 794 people into the water, under water for 20 minutes and out of the water in under 1hr 15 minutes. Most people predicted entering the water in 1.5 hours.

The new campsite and bridge look great

I think next year if we have more people predicting success, and less doom and gloom, the event will break the record.

I do think we should have got a record for the largest Marco Polo game :wink:

Home safe!

I was in and out of the water in about 1:35 or so for the record attempt. I know some were in longer, but I think a fair number in not in as long. I think I was the second person to enter for our lane.

Oh, and Dock 6 kicks butt getting divers into the water! :mooner: You guys on Dock 5 will have to wait until next year to try topping us...

Did I say next year? The record is still held by the Maldives, but yep, only until next year. :devil: Gilboa's first attempt had more divers than did the Maldives did when they first set the record. So drop by Gilboa and preregister for next year. It's the same weekend in July.

I am pretty happy with the weekend. Campsites, to food, and the weather! Got my registration for the 2010 attempt right here next to me.

And yes, if all the people who preregistered for this year had shown up, Gilboa would claim the world record. Instead they will claim the North American title and the freshwater title, perhaps a cold water title too???

Who says you can't dive here??? Wonder if bringing that title to this region will bring more people into diving?

This was a great weekend and only the second time at Gilboa. Everything went pretty smooth,except when you ask anyone that was working there, except Mike, whats going on with the different events,like drawings,games,shirts and other pertinent questions,etc,the answer was always"I don't know". So hopefully Mike will inform his people better for the next event.
All in all it was fun and fairly easy and quick to do this event. Me and my son both attended and already signed up for next years attempt. Hope we can help sign people in our area up for the next one,and everyone that came this time do the same.

Seen Ber Rabbit,but did'nt get over to say hi,when I looked to go find her she had already taken off. Dang, I wanted a Scuba Board sticker too!!
So I'll just say "Hi" here. And I know I seen alot of you that went this weekend,like that beautiful Aileen from Chicago!
Most of you don't know me, but hopefully we can all get to know each other better on here and out diving.

See ya all at Gilboa Next year!

So I am reading here for the first time that we didn't make it. Bummer. That was still quite an experience to see all those heads bobbing around in the water before we went down.
Did we at least break the worlds largest Marco-Polo game record?

Back in Chicago. Gilboa is a pretty cool quarry. Thanks to Wolfgang from Canada for the guided tour on Friday! Overall the event went smoothly, esp considering it was their first time doing one of this magnitude.

I made the mistake of underestimating my undergarments. I had on what I needed for a 20-minute dive at 20', but since drysuit divers jumped in first, I was a little chilly by the time we descended.

As someone else stated, we didn't break the record, but they're going to try again next year. Mike offered a $2,500 drawing if at least 500 people sign up for the 2010 event during the next 30 days.

Hi Aileen!

Please give a report at the meeting tomorrow!

Greetings fellow GLWC and SB'ers I just arrived home. I am still amazed at the sound of all those BC's deflating at the shot gun blast. It was one of the most incredible experiences of the week end! It was my pleasure to finally meet and hang out with GLWC members as well as SB friends.
Many new great things are ahead for Gilboa quarry the new camp ground is developing wonderfully and exciting changes in the water as well. I checked out most of the new additions, boats that is and I am thinking I missed one. But hey that will be found next time.
I was a lane shepard for the event and would like to extend thanks to all the patient divers who worked together to achieve a safe awesome dive. I am sure that the organization will only improve as we get together to evaluate and plan for the 2010
attempt.
For those out there who were skeptical or concerned about the event, YOU MISSED OUT! I was very impressed by the behavior of that many divers gathered in one spot.
When you walked back to dock #4-#5-#6 there were people everywhere but there was still room to get around. Once the entries began people were helping each other out and into the water. This corporative action was inspiring to say the least, the volunteers were awesome divers and non-divers alike. It was truly a incredible experience to be a part of both as a diver and volunteer. I encourage you all to come out next year and be a part of it. As one has stated the registrations have begun already. When I left this evening I believe around 140-150 have already signed up for next year. I enjoyed helping with the event so I would encourage you check it out and enjoy the awesome dive. The Maro Polo rocked! The excitement on the surface was unbelievable. Have a great week all and rest up next year is right around the way!
Safe diving and travels.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom