Habitat Closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI
I've coerced quite a few folks to go from OEW dive shop to All West. I cruise on slow speed so as not to miss the small stuff. The one way trip is well over 75 minutes with extra time to explore the shallows. Now to work on getting a lift to the left and cruising back for 75 minutes......

Curacao Sunshine sure knows more about the island than most.. I had the pleasure of meeting her during my trip last summer.

I think what she's saying is you could enter at the OEW Alice in Wonderland House reef and dive to the All West Reef.. but yeah you'd have to work out a vehicle drop or a lift back, and 75 minutes is a rather long dive. Even staying in the shallows which are around 20-25 feet it's going to be a bit of a task to get a tank of gas to last that long. Bring a snorkel.

Hi guys,

I have met quite a few people who didn't even bother arranging for transfers by car, but just did the first dive from AW to Alice in Wonderland, changed tanks there with OEW, had a surface interval at the KHL beach restaurant or on the beach, and afterwards dove back. But idocsteve and Sunshine are right: if you like to go slow, the dive takes some 70 to 80 minutes, so it might be a challenge for those who are not too good on air. Also, check the current when making your plans - if you find it to be significant one way or the other, it might be hard to dive both directions. But most days it is no big deal.

Btw, for those who don't know yet: I am not on Curacao anymore but returned to Germany in December last year. So no risk of falling in love with my accent anymore, idocsteve :)

Greetings from Cologne
Andreas

Btw, for those who don't know yet: I am not on Curacao anymore but returned to Germany in December last year. So no risk of falling in love with my accent anymore, idocsteve :)

Greetings from Cologne
Andreas

Glad to have had the opportunity to have met you.

This is sad for us. Habitat Curacao was where we went when we got married :( We had a great week of diving, then got married the day before we flew out.:(

Word on the street is that Habitat may try to open in Nov. Not sure how that will happen given they will have to re hire employees etc.

The dive from All West to Alice (or the reverse) does take a while especially if you are carrying a baby. Which as Andreas and Sunshine will attest to is a large camera.
KH vs. All West really are two different vacations. But both sites IMHO put you in the center of some of the best diving on the island.

Too bad about Habitat going down. We've been there four times and it was the first place I ever dove (a discover dive with one of Easy Divers instructors). I remember how I couldn't wait to get home and get enrolled in an OW class.

We'll be anxiously awaiting news about the future there.

Dove there about a month after it opened after a two week work stint in Venezuela. Jump flight from Caracas. Cabbie couldn't find the place it was so new. Had a blast. Sad business, hope they reopen.

It is getting rarer and rarer to find a place that is mom and pop on the island...but it's a shame because that's what we look for when we travel.

MG, You might have to look smaller than a resort. There are a lot of apartment complexes and privately own apartments. In Westpunt, All West has a wonderful small community feel - and tanks 24/7. They are associated with Ocean Encounters West. In Lagun, Bahia Inn might have 6 units, a small restaurant and a dive shop, Bahia Diving. Landhuis Daniels is not on the water but is small, privately owned, has a restaurant and a dive shop, Trunk Divers.
In Lagun there are condos, apartments, another restaurant and another dive shop. All privately owned. In Westpunt there are condos, we have a 3 bedroom apartment and there are neighbors with new studios right on the cliff. This is true around the island. It is not necessary to stay at a Breezes or Marriott. Some people just prefer the amenities over the smallness of locally run lodging. As with the shore/boat dive debate, visitors have options and opinions on where to stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom