Halcyon BP - steel or aluminium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm considering a new BC and quite tempted to get a Halcyon BP/wings.

So I was in my local shop doing a bit of looking and the staff highly recommended the aluminium over the steel (unless I was going to be doing most of my diving in a place like the Red Sea). The aluminium is considerably lighter and for travelling long distances, it makes a bit of sense.

Has anyone got experience with one or the other - or both? The reason I am considering a Halcyon is that I've been told they are extremely durable. Is the steel significantly tougher? How does it affect your buoyancy?

Thanks everyone

I suggest you pick your plate material for the type of diving you'll be doing (where, what kind of tanks, rig, etc) and not based on how much it weighs in travel.

In truth, a BP/W rig - even with a steel plate - doesn't weigh much more than a typical BCD.

I have H plates in both AL and steel. I use the AL for freshwater diving with doubles where I'd be overweighted with the steel.

When traveling to salt water destinations where I'll be diving in AL80 singles/doubles I travel with my steel plate to have the weight on my back and not on my waist.

As to who's plates are best??? You'll get a million answers, but to be sure, the quality/durability of the steel used is not a discriminating factor from one manufacturer to another.

...while steel is 'tougher' than aluminum, if you manage to damage an AL plate, you are probably being a little too rough on your gear.

I have both steel and ali backplates for my Halcyon Eclipse.

With regards to rigidity/toughness, there is no noticeable difference between the two.

I used the steel backplate for drysuit diving....for everything else I use the ali.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom