Halcyon Focus 2.0 vs Light Monkey 32W Variable Focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the focus 2.0 and my fiancee has the LM 32w VF. We both like the light we ended up with. We dive primarily in the Atlantic north of Cape Cod. The halcyon isn't as bright as the LM but it has a much greater focus-able range. I like that because I can punch through and signal better. At her brightest setting I've been unable to see her light trying to signal me against a wreck. She likes the overall greater brightness of the LM, even with spill. The focusing aspect of the LM changes how 'hot' the hotspot is in the middle. It doesn't really affect the spill as far as i can tell. I personally don't care for that up here but she doesn't mind. I can see the spill or lack there of being important in somewhere with clearer water. The battery on the LM is much bigger but that also means it lasts longer. The piezo switch on the LM can be a pain switching between different levels of brightness, especially at the lower settings when you think its off. I don't really care for the high/low/off switch on the halycon either to be fair. The length of the light heads are about the same but the diameter of the haylcon is much smaller. They are both great lights though and I'm happy to dive with either.

Hmmm....... XHP-70 starts was introduced in november 2014 and production at the beginning of the year 2015 ; so LM might have them in

summer 2015 in fastest way !

I think LM 32W VF is older and they switch emitter in mean time (that's why 32W !)

XHP70 is 25W led and have advantage in lower current and higher voltage what mean much more simple current driver.

XHP 70 runs with 6V @4800mA or 12V@2400mA BUT emitter is too big 7 x 7 mm which comes from ( 4 times 2x2 mm XML-2 leds in die )

That's mean that for effective focusing need even bigger reflector than Thor ?!!!

For those who plays with leds is there also something called ''surface brightness'' on led die which is
for sure not so effective as at SST90 but it is game changer

15012501396d3a4370ba9332f5.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Anyone know the cheapest place to get a LM 32w VF e/o head? I kind of want to play with one now that I've got a canister that's got an e/o cord on it.

Here's a gif of the 32W VF beam pattern

200w.gif

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

It doesn't look that great on a white wall with lots of artifacts, but hopefully they won't be obvious in a real dive with real landscape.

Well, 2 months later, anybody have and side-by-side video or anything?

Back
Top Bottom