Halcyon Focus 2.0 vs Light Monkey 32W Variable Focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easy, draw a spot on the wall, its the focus. Draw bigger spot of the wall, with more spill, thats the LM. I actually like my LM LED now better than the HID.

Hmmm....... XHP-70 starts was introduced in november 2014 and production at the beginning of the year 2015 ; so LM might have them in

summer 2015 in fastest way !

I think LM 32W VF is older and they switch emitter in mean time (that's why 32W !)

XHP70 is 25W led and have advantage in lower current and higher voltage what mean much more simple current driver.

XHP 70 runs with 6V @4800mA or 12V@2400mA BUT emitter is too big 7 x 7 mm which comes from ( 4 times 2x2 mm XML-2 leds in die )

That's mean that for effective focusing need even bigger reflector than Thor ?!!!

For those who plays with leds is there also something called ''surface brightness'' on led die which is
for sure not so effective as at SST90 but it is game changer

View attachment 466046

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i know you have alot of experience and knowledge in lights i dont my field is mechanical engineering so i will give this to you and ask you a question :i have MB SUB cave and i need stronger brighter light , im thinking between thor and LM 32VF the question is what would you chose ? and is there any better alternatives ?
regards Amine

IMO Hi , from mechanical and electric side construction side I'd choose Thor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thor have very strong but these times little ''outdated'' SST-90 less efficient (need 33W @ 9A for 2200lm )

Thor may have some problems in water with particles because led is behind test tube and light is obstructed between test tube and reflector through particles /meanwhile LM reflector is behind glas on dry and reflector can reflect full power from led

LM is little smaller and probably more buoyant (led behind glass ) vs Thor (test tube )

DON' T LIKE : LM 4 die led emitter Cree XHP-70- cross at tight beam
second generation is much better almost lost it cross LED test / review - Cree XLamp XHP70.2 P2 40E (4000 K) - The second generation of extreme overcurrent and light flux capability? | BudgetLightForum.com in any case that is a led for LARGE REFLECTOR (thor have it)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
alternative ? then Primary Lights | Product Categories | Northern Light Scuba

2'nd alternative : update driver and led in your MB-50VB ( mbsub - Michael )

maybe LED test / review - Cree XLamp XHP35 High Intensity C4 + E2 (5000 K) - Really high performance in XP footprint? | BudgetLightForum.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: there is a lot GO / NO GO in many details some better at one producer some worse and same model .

Does anyone have any photos of the beam on the Light Monkey at the narrowest setting?

Back
Top Bottom