Halcyon Infinity for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they lost a few points from me in introducing the so-called "infinity" system--this is to balance their finances, not to balance buoyancy underwater. Keep this in mind.

Come on you can't drop a bomb like that and not explain. That is just a silly statement. Maybe you don't like the infinity. Have you even tried it? But don't make a blanket statement that they're trying to balance their finances. That's just ignorant and heresay unless you have a reasonable explanation. I think if you poll users of the infinity most will say it is definitely not for everyone, but it is very useful and a good innovation. As previously noted in an example such as mine or francis' where our exposure protection is going to change often, its a useful tool. It may not be for you, but a tool to fix Halcyon's finances, what a statement.

I usually pan over SB when I have some extra time, and really just stick to my own local forum. I was bored and saw this thread and thought I could help francis out with some advice. Hopefully I did. But the idiotic manner in which this simple thread of a dude asking for advice went encourages me to stay away even when my boards are slow.

I wish I could see the name of the site so I could lurk there as well.

Hopefully I'll be trying out my new infinity in FLA on Wednesday. Will follow up with a report if all goes well.

edit:
Nevermind, a creative search helped out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lastly, is is possible that because you live in a place where the controls are so defined, this may have caused you to prefer more controls to be applied to discussions on SB?

You're really clutching at straws now... nobody is trying to censor you - feel free to plug as many unrelated Halcyon products as you like. If I read the thread where you do it I'll probably point out that it has nothing to do with the thread once again. Free speech for eveyone

This is also what I read on the dive shop website : the Infinity system is sold with the ECLIPSE 30 or 40 lbs wing, marked as "single tank wing". Is that correct ? Does that mean the OP wouldn't be able to dive doubles at all with an ECLIPSE wing ? Would he need to buy an adapter (if such a thing exists) ? A different wing such as the EVOLVE ? Or a whole new system ?

Yes it's a single tank wing. No it's not practical to use it with double backmount tanks. You don't need to buy a new system, just a new wing that is designed for double backmount tanks, and obviously the tanks, tank bands and manifold, secondary reg etc. That's one of the joys of BP/W, although in fact most people end up buying another BP & harness because they're not that expensive & it's easier than swapping stuff around all the time

You guys have completely corrupted this thread. The OP asked a simple question and a few have chosen to turn it into a brawl. I've been following this thread with great interest because I am considering an Infinity setup myself and had many of the same questions as him

The OP's question was answered, albeit with different answers by different people. You get that with the right to free speech that we all (not just Dan) have here on scubaboard. Judging by your last post it seems you've already ordered your wing. If you have a question that wasn't answered, go ahead and ask it

That's because they probably don't carry BP&W. My LDS said the exact same thing to me. Yet, when you speak to actual divers (who aren't biased to make a sale with you), they all say BP&W is the love of their love and they want to divorce their wives or husbands to live happily ever after with their BP&W. Even my OWD instructor said a BP&W was meant for technical diving and he didn't recommend it for recreational divers.

If I'd listened to my instructor or my LDS, I'd have paid 800$ for a BCD vest-style/Regs/1st stage/SPG kit. I would probably have been at peace with the decision until I dove and researched what I had bought and realized for more money, I could have bought something that will allow me to grow as a diver, last just as long and be more enjoyable to use.

I haven't met a single diver in RL who has used a BP&W that would ever want to go back to vest-style.

My LDS is biased to BP&W but he is a GUE guy :wink: He does have jack BCDs for OPW rentals. I used them for the pool training then switched over to the Halcyon Infinite for the check out dives. I'm very happy that I made the switch. I like it way better than the jacket BCDs plus, like you said, it's a system that can grow with your diving. Happy Diving.

Here is my (actually my wife's) "new diver" story. After being certified, she had a struggle with her bouyancy and trim. She was using jacket BC's because we were renting our gear at the time. I used to kid her about the "death grip" she kept on the inflator, pumping dumping constantly and still not getting it. This was a special problem in a very shallow water macro dive we do at the Blue Heron Bridge in Florida (depths are 6 to 16 feet.

We were at a dive shop that sold Halcyon and they invited us to a "demo day" at the Bridge. They said that it was not just for "tech" divers. They put my wife in an eclipse rig, steel plate, 30# wing, fit it to her carefully, gave her some instruction, and then let us dive it for over an hour!

After first adjusting her bouyance, she did the dive no flailing, no inflating/deflating, no problems, and, by the end, no "death grip" on the inflator. Dhe dove 1 foot off the bottom for the entire time at all depths, in great horizontal trim and did not stir up a thing. This, after only about 6 dives under her belt.

When it was over, she got out and the first thing she said is "I want one of THESE." Never looked back. Her bouyancy and trim does her proud.

As for me, with 300+ dives all in a jacket, I said, "why not, I'll try a demo too." After 3 minutes, I forgot I had it on. No "cummerbund" no plastic clips, no chest strap, no bulk, no drag, completely clean chest and easy breathing, flat trim, easy bouyancy control with just using my breathing.

No brainer!! We ended up getting two.

I know that gear is no substitute for training and experience, but, I have to day, these really help!

So, did you ever get your BC? If so, what are your thoughts?
We love the Halcyon systems.

If you have not bought the system, you might also want to consider your future needs - if you're thinking of going into tech diving eventually etc.

Let us know how you got on. :)

I wouldnt get at BP&W unless you think you will go tech. If I were you I would get a regular back inflate like the Oceanic Excursion II. Back Plate and Wing are nice but are desinged for tech and unless you are really going to get in it I would get a regular back inflate they are great.

I wouldnt get at BP&W unless you think you will go tech. If I were you I would get a regular back inflate like the Oceanic Excursion II. Back Plate and Wing are nice but are desinged for tech and unless you are really going to get in it I would get a regular back inflate they are great.

The *vast* majority of BP&W's sold to day are to single tank recreational divers. I can think of n reason why such a diver would be ill served with a BP&W.

If they want a back inflate BC and ae making an informed choice, more power to them, but a BP&W is a entirely reasonable choice for a recreational diver who *never* plans on going *tech*

Tobin

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ShftrdogI wouldnt get at BP&W unless you think you will go tech. If I were you I would get a regular back inflate like the Oceanic Excursion II. Back Plate and Wing are nice but are desinged for tech and unless you are really going to get in it I would get a regular back inflate they are great.

Why???????????????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom