Halcyon Infinity for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are @ 18% BF you don't float. A typical 3mm suit will be about 3-5 lbs positive. Even with a buoyant al 80 (~4 lbs positive empty) you should only need about 8 lbs.of total ballast. Your reg provides about 2 lbs and a SS plate and harness provides another ~6 lbs.

22 + 2 (for your reg) is likely way more than you need.

Tobin

When I'm in Bonaire I'll be doing my advanced OW so I'll have plenty of time to test the perfect ballast.

The 40lbs wing was the correct choice, as I'm already weighted at 23 lbs (stainless steel plate, sta weighted adapter, +3 pound in pocket) with a 3mm suit.

I just tried mine in Lembeh on the new year break and find it good. I got mine setup with the alu plate so total weight including the STA is about 4-5lbs. Used another 4lbs giving a total of 8-9lbs. When I was playing around in the shallow 3m beneath the boat, I can hold my position even with 10 bar left in the tank, so I'm guessing i can drop 2-4lbs if i am to be neutral at safety stop depth with 30-50bar. With 8-9lbs however, I have to add a substantial amount of air to the wing when I am around 100ft deep. Before i moved to the BP/W, i used 6lbs of weight with my back inflate.

I am 5'6", 166lbs,dive a 3mm wetsuit and a single al80 tank. You might wanna reduce the total weight you use when diving warm water, it is much more enjoyable to not swim all that weight around.

[…] even with an empty BC and empty lungs descent was painfully slow and difficult. […]
Unless I'm over weighted, I still can't submerge in the upright position. I've tried many times but probably doing something wrong. Or maybe my wetsuit being too buoyant when “dry” ? Anyhow, I just do the duck (head down and finning). Harder on the ears (not recommanded if you have issues equalizing), but works for me.

Glad you're having a great time, can't wait to read your report.

I am not sure what you meant that it is "not about the padding" - as I mentioned, the padding and the cinch seem to be the only difference between the Infinity and the Eclipse systems?!?!:

From the Halcyon website:
Cinch Quick-adjust (patent pending); infinitely adjustable with a simple push or pull of the webbing vs. Complete Secure Harness; infinitely adjustable and designed to fit you perfectly

Halcyon Deluxe Harness Pads featuring a Storage Pak for convenient stowage of lift devices vs. Halcyon Storage Pak for convenient stowage of lift devices

Both "systems" come with:
Choice of Aluminum or Stainless Steel Backplate; standard or small size
ACB10 weight pockets
Stainless steel Single-Tank Adapter with two cam straps; accommodates a weighted insert

I have the Eclipse with Cinch Quick.....I/we the wife ....WE LOVE the system. I don't think you need all the padding that comes with the Infinity and you lose the storage space in the back for a SMB.The padding is only good for about 20 seconds when you put it on ....ON the boat once in the water it's useless, and makes you more buoyant....Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom