Halcyon reel resistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got a halcyon reel, at first it was easy to lay some line but it seems to have a bit of resistance now like if it’s gripped.

Does anyone know if you adjust the resistance with the central screw?

Somehow it got tighter between days of diving. Loosening the central hex bolt by 1/4 turn helped to make the reel freespool again, as it was touching the handle on top and bottom.

Somehow it got tighter between days of diving. Loosening the central hex bolt by 1/4 turn helped to make the reel freespool again, as it was touching the handle on top and bottom.
It shouldn't move.

The permanent remedy is to remove the central bolt. Put locktight on the threads. Reinsert and get it snug but with no binding. Keep it out of the water ~48hrs to allow the locktight to dry.

It shouldn't move.

The permanent remedy is to remove the central bolt. Put locktight on the threads. Reinsert and get it snug but with no binding. Keep it out of the water ~48hrs to allow the locktight to dry.
I think you may be right actually, there is something else amiss: the reason it was gripped was that the top of the reel is against the handle, it seems to be slightly inclined in one direction.

Loosening the bolt works but may not be the real solution.

I actually got a reply from Halcyon support so will chat with them and send them pics before to try something else. Will update the thread once I get to the bottom of this.

Had the same thing happen to mine last time I was in FL. Did a dive in Ginnie, fine going in but ceased up on the exit. Left it at EE they sent it to halcyon and shipped it back to me no charge once it was fixed.

The line swelled.

If the line is packed super tight on the spool, when it absorbs water and expands, it will flex the walls of the spool and bind.

Immediate fix is to loosen the bolt. The real solution is to not wind the line as tightly on the reel.

Imagine the dismay one would feel if this happened on a cave exploration dive when you’ve committed a ton of resources to making the dive happen.

I carry an appropriately sized Allen key :)

The line swelled.

If the line is packed super tight on the spool, when it absorbs water and expands, it will flex the walls of the spool and bind.

Immediate fix is to loosen the bolt. The real solution is to not wind the line as tightly on the reel.

Imagine the dismay one would feel if this happened on a cave exploration dive when you’ve committed a ton of resources to making the dive happen.

Wonder where this was learned and why that allen is in the wetnotes :wink:

The line swelled.

I thought I did really well by tightly winding the line because previously it was too slack …

Is there a way to unflex that wall? 😂

Wonder where this was learned and why that allen is in the wetnotes :wink:
I carry an XS Scuba multi tool. I’ve found it has all the things I need to fix just about anything that needs fixing or adjusting.

Flat head for reg orifices, Phillips for Goodman handles, o ring pick, valve knob screwdriver, Allens for port plugs, reels, and Din inserts, schrader for BC hoses. It’s super legit. Even has a bottle opener for post dive libations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom