Halcyon reel resistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’ll bounce back when you take the line off it.
I’ll try this when I get home it’s possible this happened because we went to practice in the car Wash and laid a fairly long line then I never unwound the full length afterwards …

Will update when I get home.

So it’s definitely better but it’s still grinding one side, will probably take halcyon offer to have it looked at.

BRB in 20 mins when I figure out how to wind evenly the monster :coffee:

😂

Getting a deep feeling of shame now when looking at the reel 😂

882AD876-84D0-482A-9B5B-384CFF7594AC.jpeg

Is that #24 line on a 400ft reel? Looks crazy fat in that photo. But also not nearly tight enough to push the walls of the spool out and bind.

Is that #24 line on a 400ft reel? Looks crazy fat in that photo. But also not nearly tight enough to push the walls of the spool out and bind.
Looks like a 200ft reel.
Getting a deep feeling of shame now when looking at the reel 😂
Looks like you got a little too much line on there. You might wanna take some off to avoid spillover.

It’s the Pathfinder 400 with the #24 line that comes with it. It’s probably the way I wound it back and the close up picture that makes it look weird.

It’s the Pathfinder 400 with the #24 line that comes with it. It’s probably the way I wound it back and the close up picture that makes it look weird.
I would take about 20 feet of line off a new 400-ft reel. It makes it much easier to work with, and you now have some cave line for tying bolt snaps, etc.

I had this same thing happen to me with a 200' and 400' light monkey reel. I called Light Monkey and they said it would cost me $80 to replace the spool on my 400' reel even though it was less than a year old. They said the same thing, that the line had been wound too tightly on the reel.

I was not going to pay $80 to repair an almost new $160 reel so now just have to live with my two reels making a noise when I use them. The odd thing is they only do it when the reel is parallel with the ground. When it is held sideways there is no wobble / noise. It does not affect laying the line in any way, it is just more an annoyance. Also I notice the outer edge of the spool has a slight groove worn into it from being off balance.

It is frustrating but I wonder how many other reels are affected by this and people just think it is due to age of the reel.

I also don't understand how delrin can be deformed by the line swelling. If you research the material it is supposed to be extremely strong and should be impervious to this.

I also don't understand how delrin can be deformed by the line swelling. If you research the material it is supposed to be extremely strong and should be impervious to this.
Delrin/POM is very strong for plastic.

So I just bought another new 200' Light Monkey Reel. And this time I decided to follow the advice of pulling all the line off and putting it in a bucket to let the line swell. I will then put it back on and see if I have the same issue with this reel. My previous two I just used them as they came.

@BlueTrin did you do anything to 'prep' your reel before you used it or did you just use it as it came when you bought it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom