Halcyon, Xdeep, OMS, Audaxpro, Aquatec, DGX - value & longevity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but let’s be realistic. The reason to get titanium is because of … titanium. Not weight saving. Al plate and STA are 60% the weight of compatible Ti. I have STA of similar shape in SS, TI, AL, CF. That is the order is weight from heaviest to lightest.

Thanks, but I have looked into used, and just can't find any used Halcyon deals here locally in Taiwan! And looking at the previous used listings, see that they have sold for $800+, so not really much of a deal unfortunately.
Another reason for Halcyon as the gear has good resale value.

I think I'm leaning towards the Traveler Pro, which was discontinued but since I may be able to snag the last one on clearance, a good deal - any reason I shouldn't choose it over the Adventurer Pro or Infinity? If I did 30 dive days locally and took one or two dive vacations where I would need to travel by plane, with maybe 10 days total of diving at most - would the Traveler Pro be good enough for normal use? Just not sure what I'm missing out on by choosing this option, other than weight.
I wouldn't get the Traveler Pro System. That model has been discontinued. It had a nylon backplate with these odd weight pockets on the plate. As someone mentioned earlier an Eclipse System would be cheaper than the Infinity System. However, I read you can get a deal on an Infinity System so that would be the way I would go. The difference between the systems is the Infinity has the cinch plate to allow you to easily adjust the straps, usually comes with ACB pockets and the padding. The shoulder and back padding does add buoyancy; I measured at 1.4 pounds in fresh water. All considered I think you would be better off with the Infinity rather than the Traveler Pro.

I wouldn’t say resell value. More is 2nd hand market desirability. Someone will want to buy it. But you will still lose a lot of money, the delta maybe a set of DGX.
Yes, more desirability and higher price. I have seen Halcyon gear sell on eBay for near the price for the same item new.

Yes, more desirability and higher price. I have seen Halcyon gear sell on eBay for near the price for the same item new.
is that asking price? There's a lot of crack being smoked on ebay and those items often don't sell.

I think I'm leaning towards the Traveler Pro, which was discontinued but since I may be able to snag the last one on clearance, a good deal - any reason I shouldn't choose it over the Adventurer Pro or Infinity? If I did 30 dive days locally and took one or two dive vacations where I would need to travel by plane, with maybe 10 days total of diving at most - would the Traveler Pro be good enough for normal use? Just not sure what I'm missing out on by choosing this option, other than weight.
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but f traveling with it, you might consider the xdeep Ghost too. It's made with that in mind and is cheaper than the Zen. I have it as my every dive setup and love it.

I would not discount the advantages of the stainless steel plate. Warm water diving usually means you will be diving alu80’s. A SS plate weighs in at around 5 pounds, this will nicely offset the 4 lbs of positive buoyancy of the aluminum tank. This also places the weight in an ideal spot over your lungs. When comparing quality, you really need to break the system down into the individual parts. The backplate, STA, and other assorted hardware will last until the next ice age, there really is nothing to break as it’s all made out of stainless steel. The webbing will last at least a couple thousand dives, when it finally wears out or it “shrinks 😉”, it will cost you under $20 to replace it. Any metal cam band with a metal buckle will last for thousands of dives. That leaves the wing; any reputable brand should be fine. I would go as far as to say the Taiwan OEM built wings are as good as anything out there. So I would say go with the best value, in the water you won’t be able to tell the difference between any of them.

duplicate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom