Hallucinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S. starfish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So a few months ago some friends and I had a wierd dive. Really wierd.
The night started out as usual, we got our fills from our shop, stopped for the usual before dive chilli (keeps the drysuit warm :wink: ) and went to a site that we've all dove a good numer of times, mostly at night, and hit the water. Then things got wierd.
Before we even hit 60ft I was out of my skull, my vision tunneled, rocks were swimming around, things were flitting in and out of my peripheral vision and seaweed was waving around in an attractive fashion, which would have been all good and well had there actualy been any seaweed at the site. Of course, in this state I didn't have the sense to call the dive. After surfacing it came to light that two of the other four divers had suffered the exact same thing. Later that night I had an "attack" of sorts that was a whole lot like being horribly horribly drunk except without the numbness, the next day it turns out that my two friends experienced the same thing. We never solved the mystery of what exactly happened this night (one of my friends has well over 600 recreational dives and a fair bit of commercial experience, she'd never experienced anytin like it), but figured that it couldnt' have been narcosis since there were after effects and it's been bothering me ever since. Anybody have any insights?

What did the Doc say?

What did the three of you have in commone that the other two did not? (air fills; food; etc.) Also, did the other two have less air added to their tank than you three?

sounds like a trip man, welcome to SB :D

Maybe someone slipped some peyote buttons in your chilli? Did everyone eat the chili or just the three of you?

Seriously, I would ask if the divers who were seeing things got their air/gas from the same source and if the non-hallucinating divers got their fills from a different source, or at least on a different day. You could also ask the LDS where you got your fills if anyone else mentioned the same symptoms. Did anyone get multiple fills on the same day and have the same issues when they dove the other tanks?

Were you using your own tanks or rentals? How about the other divers. I would suspect air contamination, although the symptoms don't match.

Was this a boat dive? Did anyone take anti-emetics or sea sickness pills? Those mess with my vision, but not as severely as you descibe.

Did you happen to get abducted by UFOs on the way to the dive site?

Well, we didn't all have the same food, only me and one other guy had chilli, but he didn't suffer the same effects. Four of us filled our tanks from the shop I work at just before the dive, one used an old fill. The only thing the three of us had in common was that we rode in the same vehicle, but unless my friend is secretly a crack dealer I can't think of anything that could come from a car that would have those effects on you.
Didn't go and see a doctor afterwards, didn't see what a doc could do about it except charge me money.
DOn't think it was contaminated air, the filters on our compressor were pretty new and it would have hit everyone if it were. Needless to say though, we did change the filters on the compressor the next day, just to be safe

do it easy:
How about something in the water? Did you notice pools of glowing green toxic waste floating at the surface? Were some of you wearing hoods and or drysuits? Did anyone swim in the water before suiting up?

This happened back in Nov. and we live in BC, Canada, so there was absolutely no swimming in the water and everybody was wearing a drysuit and hood. Own all our gear so it probably didnt have anything to do with our equipment.
It's a very mysterious mystery.
There is a sewage outflow at this place though. Didn't know what it actulay was until my buddy got blasted with lovely brown cloud a few weeks ago. Couldn't stop laughing for three days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom