Halycon Eclipse BPW a good buy at ~$700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've found someone locally (not an official dealer) selling a never-been-used (not even yet assembled) Halycon Eclipse BPW setup. It's a single-tank setup and has the 40 lbs wing, ss backplate and 10 lbs integrated weight system.

I've been looking into setting up a Hogarthian BPW system as my first BCD. Would this be a good snag if I could get it for around $700? The 40lbs wing seems like overkill for me but what do you guys think?

Halcyon is nice gear, but the $700 you are paying is for the pretty blue H. Look at Deep Sea Supply setups. They run $450-$500 for a full set up brand new and offer top notch customer service.

700 for a backplate and wing is pretty high but because its halcyon it automatically has a high price tag. Look at hog products as they are great andd i personally dive there 32 lb single wing. Dive right in scuba has a package for less than 400 although it does not have the integrated weight system you could add it your self with the dive rite pockets like these.

Halcyon is nice gear, but the $700 you are paying is for the pretty blue H.

"One wing to rule them all..."

myprecious1.jpg

"We wants it. We needs it. Must have the precious!"

Given the difference in fit and feel I'll dive DSS over Hog any day.

I have no complains with my dris rig. The money I saved will go towards a doubles rig one day.

Cost aside, halcyon product is very high quality down to the last detai, it is well thought out design. Customer service is also very good. Now whether it is worth 700 price tag, it is all subjective. I like halcyon bc, but I wont buy eclipse as a package because there are items there I dont need. If you ditch the weight pockets, backpad, you maybe able to save $100+.

Given the difference in fit and feel I'll dive DSS over Hog any day.

It's a one piece webbing harness. If it doesn't fit it's set up wrong. I use DSS, HOG, and now a Freedom contour plate. The freedom fits and feels a little different just because of the way it's made.

I started with DSS wings and switched to HOG. I see no real difference other than the DSS wings have a urethane bladder and the HOG's a ballistic nylon with a ten year warranty against pinch flats.

Which DSS and HOG wings have you used in the water? Both are good products and I sell a lot of HOG BPW's. So far this year I've sold and set up almost two dozen of them with zero problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom