Halycon SS BP + 27lb Wing review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats, Jep...

I can't wait to see pictures! :)

Man, if you think it's good now, wait'll your 10th or 15th dive, when you've had time to play with it...

Congratulations, bud. :D

So nice to hear someone else telling a story that is familiar to my own. (not admitting how much time I spent adjusting the harness at home in full wetsuit with aircon on!)

Remember it kind of hot in Singapore ;-)

jepuskar,

Glad you like your new rig. Have fun, practice hard and dive safe.

I am leaning towards buying the same equipment (or equivalent from other manufacturer). Im happy that you seem to like it!

About the hose routing. Have you seen the DIR 3 movie (I downloaded it off the net somewhere). In this video they replace the octopus by a backup 2nd stage on a short hose in a nekclace and then have the main 2nd stage routed under their right arm. Looks very slick and streamlined with the standard length of hose. Mayby you can try something similar.

I'm getting a 27# rig too!!! :) I already tried it out and had them adjust it for size to see how it fits. :) The Halcyon dealer here was also recommending an Apeks reg set. The primary hose looked kinda short, and that's fine by me... but I'm curious about proper DIR hose setup... and how to route the hoses (octo & spg) throughout the Halcyon... aren't the D-rings a bit to high for that? Aren't they for lights and ponies? There's a single D-ring on the belt... what's that one for? The octo? Or spg?

Ok, since I'm slowly learning the DIR way... I'm curious how the octo setup and ideal hose length for the 2nd stages are supposed to be setup.

From my BOW classes, if no octo clips are available, we're just supposed to route the hoses over our shoulders (octo & console) and hug them close to our bodies to avoid dangling, and to streamline our finning form.

I've seen some setups with the primary running under the right arm can light, or pocket... doesn't this tug the reg downward away from your mouth? Is getting a shorter primary hose a bad thing? Wouldn't that have fewer entanglement problems? What about the octo? Isn't that what I'm supposed to give my buddy in an emergency? Not my primary? I've seen the loop-around-the-neck thing and I'm wondering, doesn't this make for an accident if your buddy panics and just grabs it and it tightens around your neck?

The idea is to give the primary with the long hose to your buddy and you go on the octo.

I also use a 5' hose and it is too short to follow the DIR routing. I tried routing different ways and finally wound up just stuffing the loose part under the webbing so it isn't flopping around. At first that didn't work either, but I finally used a small loop of surgical tubing to help prevent it from tugging out. That provided just enough hold to prevent it from coming out accidentally while allowing it to come free if you give it a good tug. It isn't DIR, but it works for me.

If you want to do the DIR routing, you really need the 7'.

To learn the full details, read the book "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving". You can also find a lot on scubaboard in the Tech forums. You will also find a lot of disagreement as to how rigorously one should follow the DIR system, but it is definitely thought provoking. If you are like me, you will adopt some of the ideas but not all of them.

Adopt the ideas you agree with, just dont adopt everything just because you want to be labeled as DIR.

I dive with an air integrated hoseless computer, not DIR, but I love it....I recently got the Scuba Pro Jet fins w/spring straps and I am learning to really enjoy diving with them....still working on my frog kick...but it is getting consistent.

:)

Just my 1 peso.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom