Hampton Roads Dive Shops - Let's hear it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck. I have created a relationship with Lynnhaven, DQ and Underwater Adventures. I like it that way. They all know me and at one point or another each one has pissed me off for some reason or another so it gives me an option until I feel like going back. They are all good shops.

Keep one thing in mind... every shop and especially every instructor bad-mouths the others freely. I guess its just the nature of the business as I have experienced it everyplace I lived.

Scott

Try Chesapeake Bay Diving in Portsmouth. Small store, friendly and quick service. Prices are reasonable. I cannot remember fill prices off the top of my head because I always get a fill card and use that. I have 4 divers in family and multiple tanks.

I agree, Chesapeake Diving in Portsmouth is a good shop Been getting hp 120's filled there now for $11.00 and that is Nitrox.

How do you do your own visual inspections? Where do you get the inspections sticker?

Is it air or Nitrox?

You are being defensive, I am just telling my experience with the shop. I used to go to the shop exclusivly for five years and I am just telling what I witnessed there. That is what the subject of the post was.

I was offering my experience and my suggestion was to go to Grimsley's

Not being defensive at all, just thought it was an interesting statement since I had not experienced the problem.

I took an inspection class (also a gear overhaul and repair class) from Diving Technologies International. I get my inpection stickers from them. I have all the tools needed to do a proper inspection. I do not inspect Al tanks older than 1988 or those that need an eddy current test. I didn't think it was worth the $1500 for an eddy current tester. Air or nitrox, the inspection is the same. Overhauling the valve and replacing the o-ring is different. You have to use different material o-rings and grease for nitrox.

I got my gear serviced during the past year at Dive Quarters and it was performed quickly and at a reasonable rate. The turn-around on maintenance at Lynnhaven at the time did not work for me. I have not had any bad experiences at either store.

Thanks for all the heads up! I see this thread rose from the dead!

A few new things since I last posted this. Dive Quarters seems to be the place for adapters and parts. The vibe I get there is still odd, depending on who I end up dealing with.

I *believe* Lynnhaven was sold at some point, based on a post on the local tech list. The dive club has been resurrected, and is bad-ass by the way.

ldc wasnt sold, the owner's daughters took over. personally, i prefer lynnhaven, but it was far better about two or so years ago

I'm not reading the rest of this thread because it is probably similar to the SSI vs. PADI threads in agencies, so I'll just state my opinion. I use Underwater Adventures. They are close, convenient, and reasonable. I also enjoy their staff, as the instructors are very thorough and professional.

Thanks re: the LDC trivia.

I'm planning to sign up for Adv Open Water w/ Dive Quarters, because I started off with PADI. In the end it's the instructor that I care about, so I'll definitely feel out that aspect. I took the SSI Nitrox w/ Dana Chapman @ LDC and it was cool. Gave me a warm feeling for that shop. Of course now I might end up needing to take Advanced Nitrox.

I noticed no one local offers Inspiration rebreather courses, so eventually I guess I'll have to go to DC to take that one.

I have relations with both shops as I said before & it helps me do what I want when I want. I don't see any need to bad mouth either. They are what they are & all people have different personalities which may or may not coincide with a certain shops mission.
I do do all my training with DQ, always have & feel very comfortable with them so no reason to change. Just finishing Advanced Nitrox & Deco procedures now.

Ethan: I think you will find that you will need Adv. Nitrox before any rebreather training. I also believe you need 100 logged dives for the class. (Adv. Nitrox that is)
Talk to Joe at DQ, I know he did a rebreather class for someone not long ago, but not sure of the make.

Back
Top Bottom