Hand Signals???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of using signs....does anyone have an idea on why folks don't use ASL (or one of the other countries sign language for that matter) instead of creating another set of signs?

I actually do know ASL (well, I'm a bit rusty) and find it frustrating to be underwater with my buddies, because when I can't talk, I automatically start signing.....but of course they don't understand :(

Just curious:wink:

Cathie,

The Smiths' book is based on ASL. The Smiths are both highly skilled in ASL.

DSSW,

WWW™

A very helpful and easy-to-use book is "Underwater Communications" by Norris Eastman and Gerald Landrum. You may have some trouble locating it, since it was published back in the mid 1980s, but it is a very useful guide. It covers a wide range of hand signals, including fundamental and instructional, emergency and safety, environmental, marine life, and numerical signals, as well as finger spelling.

The signs were actually the work of Jerry, who had worked extensively with individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. One day, a diver (that would me, as it happens) asked Jerry for some ASL signs because said diver has misunderstood his wife/dive buddy's attempts to explain that a particular fish was displaying breeding coloration (see my posting elsewhere re the 40-foot club). Jerry went on to compile a book of UW communication signs and then create the first UW communication specialty course (from PADI, as I recall). Said diver and his wife learned to communicate UW quite effectively, but, alas, 1 ATM communication was not as good and the dive buddies parted ways! I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere . . . .

That cave diving communications book that Rick spoke about has a bunch of hand signals in it. If you want I could pick one up for you the next time I'm in cave country, it only costs a couple of bucks, just private message me your address.

I was also taught that before a dive to go over all the important hand signals with your buddy. Just to make sure you know the same ones. Even the non-important hand signals can end up funny, like the time I was cavern diving and I did what I thought was 'big fish' and my buddy thought I was saying there was a big moray eel in the cavern! :)

If you have access to a scanner, and are proficient with it, scan the images as JPG files. Buy a box of perferated Avery Business Card Stock, format the "cards" in MS Word so that you have one image per card, print them out and you have flash cards. Total cost about 3 bucks. If you want to add a little durability to these little guys, have them laminated. You should be able to get the whole stack laminated for about 10 or 12 bucks.

These cards will be a little smaller than the average flash card, but for personal use, they should be fine. We used this approach when making alphabet flash cards for our daughter. The size worked out perfectly for tiny hands.

Good luck,

Billy

There is a PADI-sanctioned Communication Diver Specialty Course? :11:

SeaSigns is a distinctive specialty for PADI and other agencies. For PADI, once you complete the SeaSigns training, you are given a certificate and training outline. Send that to PADI, with a specialty application and you will receive designation for a Distinctive Specialty Instructor.

SeaSigns is a great little course and is growing rapidly. It is based on ASL with some small contextual changes. However, a non-diving, hearing impaired person will be able to understand your words.

The fun and safety course has over 350 instructors globally. They just announced a distribution deal in Europe, Middle East and Africa. In 2007, SeaSigns will be adding three more courses (in addition to their basic course). One of them is going to be tech oriented (which will include some signing for cave and wreck divers). They are getting feedback from technical, cave and wreck divers now on what should be included, etc.

It's fairly easy and not too costly to become an instructor. Lots of great instructor support materials like a DVD, Powerpoint, Instructor Manual, flashcards (for training), etc.

Check it out ....
http://www.seasigns.com
http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=548

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom