Hard or Soft Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbs129

Reaction score
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the usage of hard block lead weights or the soft lead shot weights.

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of one type over the other, if any?

Seems that the soft weights would be more comfortable in the ditchable weight pouches on a BCD as they would better conform to the contour of your body.

Besides the price difference, is there any other difference in these weights?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I like to have both. I like soft in pockets and hard on a belt. But if I could just have one type they would be hard ones I guess, just because they dry quicker, are smaller, and attach directly to 2" webbing (like a belt or cam strap) without having to attach a pocket. However I wouldn't give my soft ones up.

Not everybody puts as much wear on their gear as a hull cleaner does, but I have to say that hard weights are best. I find no difference in comfort and hard weights last much, much longer than soft, particularly when used in pockets.

Whatever floats your boat. The both work well. I believe the hard weights must be more durable.

With soft weights you can really fine tune your weighting. You can make soft weight pouches in any amount that you wish. And theoretically it will hurt less to drop four pounds of soft lead on your bare foot as opposed to hard.

I really don't see a big difference between the two. I have used both and I went with the hard weights. They were easier to get into the pockets on my BC. The soft weights would stick to the velcro on the inside of the pocket and the hard would just slide right in. Its mainly a personal pref. and how much you are willing to spend. Soft weights are a little more expensive.

I prefer soft weights--they conform to the shape of whatever they're stuffed into, and since I don't wear a weight belt, I don't have to string anything through them. I put hard weights in my Zeagle BC weight pockets once and they ate right through the fabric in only a week. Hard lesson learned!

I use whatever I can find on the bottom. The down side is lack of choice, the up side is that I have no second thoughts on putting them back on the bottom, should the need arise.

With soft weights you can really fine tune your weighting. You can make soft weight pouches in any amount that you wish.
I did find some 1# hard weights and I don't bother shifting for less than a #, you can shave any hard weight down if necessary.

And theoretically it will hurt less to drop four pounds of soft lead on your bare foot as opposed to hard.

It's not theoretical.

Bob
-------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom