Hard-soled boots & fins for shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently changed to wool socks. Love it.

+1 on wool socks. Cotton is right out, and nylon can abrade skin as well.

I use wool cycling socks... because I already have a drawer full of them.

Try some kind of socks under your booties to help prevent rubbing. Lycra, thin neoprene, or even regular cheap nylon socks. ...............
I concur re socks, especially lycra socks. If they are used, you'll probably be able to slip into your wetsuit more easily, too. A clothing version of the plastic bag on foot trick.

You're not curling your toes are you. Probably sounds odd but I used to find myself doing it.

I've shared this before and I get some strange looks too, but I use the Five Finger shoes from REI. They fit like a glove and give more dexterity for walking on the iron shore, Plus no need for socks as they seperate and cover each toe so no rubbing. And they are thinner so you don't need to worry about changing fin size.

I use Lycra socks now, however for a quick fix I wrapped duct tape around my foot covering my toes. Not only did the duct tape work well, it embarrassed my daughter as well, a twofer.

Bob

I agree with the Seasoft Sunray recommendation. One of my favorite features of the Sunray's is the rubber ridge that runs along the back at the top of the heel. I use apollo bio fins with the stretch stainless c straps (also highly recommend). The fin strap fits perfectly on my heel and I know it is perfectly in place in the water when I snug them right up to that rubber ridge which also keeps the strap from creeping up. Sweet. I use to get rubs on the back of my heel from the fin straps from other boots but not with the Seasoft Sunray's as the fin strap fits perfectly over the hard sole on the heel below that ridge.As far as socks I've tried all of the lycra brands and would still get toe rubs after 3+ dives in a day or after 4+ days in a row of multiple dives. I finally decided to try some wool socks I use for running. Problem solved and so comfortable. The socks I use and highly recommend are the Darn Tough Vermont Men's 1/4 Merino Wool Ultra-Light Athletic Socks which are sold on Amazon. These socks are thin and super strong. They are guaranteed for life. (I've returned a few pair over 10 years after running in them for 30+ miles per week. They send a new pair with no questions asked). But the best part is that they stop the toe rubs.

I'm partial to the Promate Dreadnaught http://promateusa.com/detail.php?pid=353
I have big flat feet and appreciate the traction and the harder sole. Just wish I had enough room for my Mares Quattros in the gear bag on Bonaire this past weekend.

I use Van high top tennis shoes. Showed up on Oahu last year and realized as I was unpacking that I had left one bootie at home. Spent every dive using my Vans and I'll never go back.

Back
Top Bottom